News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0701 Concurrent JTAG and UART Functionality

Started by rouben_s, June 09, 2016, 08:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rouben_s

I am using the TE0715 SOC module on the TE0701-04 carrier card and I have a need to access SYSMON thru JTAG to monitor the SOC voltages and temperature while I am performing task over the serial link on the PS side of the device. Since the JTAG and UART are sharing J7 on the TE0701 carrier card, I want to know if it is possible to have a debug session running while I am performing tasks on the PS side.To be more exact, I am running the Jump Start package from the SD card which performs simple reads and writes from and to the bram and some fifos. I want to monitor the SOCs temperature while I am performing the read/writes. I believe that SD card boot mode takes precedence over the other methods and while I had the SD card inserted in the carrier card, the SYSMON function was not working. It was not until I ejected the SD card that I was able to access the temp and voltage readings of the SOC.

Antti Lukats

it depends on the zynq application software you run, if the PS CLAIMS exclusive access to sysmon, then vivado access to the sysmon over PL JTAG does not work.

This is how Zynq is designed. This is explained in Xilinx documentation.

This is in NO WAY related to TE0715, or TE0701 or any Trenz Product, this is normal behavior of the Zynq-7000 SoC.

rouben_s

I have explained in the original post how the PS is being used and I do believe this is directly related to the 701 and the 715 boards. Since the JTAG and UART are being shared over one interface, I can only access one at a time. Please clarify if that is not the case. If I am doing memory read/write on the PS side over the serial (UART) interface, how can I access the JTAG from the same port (J7).

Antti Lukats

As explained already, the issue has no relation to TE0715, or TE0701.

TE0701 has dual channel FTDI FT2232H with officially licensed Xilinx JTAG solution on Channel A.

FTDI channel assignment
=================
Channel A: JTAG, can be used AT THE SAME TIME for PS and PL debugging
Channel B: UART, ABSOLUTLY separated from channel A (JTAG) no restriction for concurrent use.

System monitor is SHARED resource, if PS has locked it, then JTAG access from PL is disabled, and you get -273C readings, this is how ZYNQ devices work. If you need to access sysmon from PL you need to make sure that PS has not locked it to itself.

This has no relation to HOW the JTAG and/or UART interfaces are implemented or how many USB connectors the board has.