News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

PetaLinux/U-Boot for TE0715-03-30

Started by pgross, November 04, 2015, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgross

Hi,

we are currently migrating our projects from TE0720 to TE0715 with Z7030. We use the TE703 for development purposes.
As the TE0715 does not seem to have a SystemController anymore, I did create a new petalinux without the TE0720 PetaLinux BSP - so it is a clean petalinux without any FSBL/U-Boot modifications.

Unfortunately, the Ethernet PHY is not recognized by u-boot
U-Boot-PetaLinux> dhcp
PHY is not detected
Phy not found
PHY reset timed out

Furthermore, PetaLinux is not able to access the RTC.

I'm not clear about the changes I have to make, to get those things working. Any advice is highly appreciated!

EDIT: In the meantime, I found out that the SC is still there (don't know why I thought it wasn't ...). Is the TE0720-SystemController IP for Vivado still working?

Antti Lukats

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Zynq+Troubleshooting+Guide

there is checklist, item 1:
1) Are relevant PS7 settings correct in Vivado IPI BD customization Dialog?

Everything MUST be built in one version for one product, this starts with Vivado IPI BD, if you take XXX as and rename it XYZ, then it very likely not work.

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/TE0715/TE0715+TRM

it is clearly marked that ETH reset is assigned to GPIO MIO pin

if you start from REAL scratch then at least you must set the eth reset pin in IPI and rebuild the HDF export it to SDK and petalinux

TE0715 ref design build is running as I type, it should take lots problems away, we will include ready built HDF files too, for SDK and petalinux, etc etc

But, really please do not try to "copy" rename and hope it works, the COMPLETE flow must be executed, and no mix and match of files from different project and/or vivado versions

pgross

Hi,

thanks for your reply. When can we expect the TE0715 ref design?

I took my existing vivado project, installed the Board Part Files you provide, retargeted and then generated the bitfile and exported the hardware definition.
I then built petalinux with this and hoped it will work. Well it didn't.

I guess that PS7 Settings are incorrect. I will try to get that fixed first.
What about the System Controller IP Core?

Antti Lukats

Quote from: pgross on November 05, 2015, 08:56:11 AM
Hi,

I took my existing vivado project, installed the Board Part Files you provide, retargeted and then generated the bitfile and exported the hardware definition.

When you can expect is easy to answer: Yesterday!

Ok, the full reference design is still coming, but the designs that are on downloads since yesterday are good enough to start and should solve any issues.

Testing done today, step by step:

1 "test_board" design from downloads
2 change folder name to plnx
3 start "make_project.bat"
4 open vivado/plnx.xpr
5 create bit
6 export
7 start sdk
8 create fsbl (no modificatons needed)
9 create boot.bin using "old" uboot and uimage
10 copy the boot.bin to SD card

result: DHCP works in uboot and linux, rtc works in linux

I tried with TE0715-xx-15 not 30 but it should really work the same with 7030 zynq too.

if you just need FSBL you do not need to start vivado, you can take the HDF files from the "test_board" design, from

hardware\prebuilt\z015
hardware\prebuilt\z030

we package the "plnx" design also to download very soon, but I hope you can get already going.

Antti Lukats

Hi,

sorry was incomplete answer

as of "System Controller" on TE0715 there is none, or better there are no special or smart functions accessible, so for the user there is none. All peripherals are directly accessible over Zynq MIO, this is possible because TE0715 has 6 more MIO pins for on board use (SDIO1 that was occupied by eMMC on TE0720). Those MIO pins control ETH reset and RTC I2C

Antti Lukats

Hi,

UPDATE:

"plnx" design uploaded (will show up in 1-2 hours)

it does include: prebuilt images for z015 z030, both tested, all there bit files, HDF files, fsbl elf uboot.elf uimage
all ready to run and test

the uboot and linux images are still old, and the FSBL will get another update (to properly set MAC from EEPROM in uboot)

FSBL hooks.c is included too, it will DISPLAY the MAC address

there are also generic BOOT.BIN that works with -15 and -30 (in /hardware/prebuilt/pureboot

pgross

Hi,

thanks again for your reply.

I just wanted to inform you:
I did get network working under u-boot and linux by adjusting the PS7 IPI Settings.
RTC still does not work with my own project, but it does with your's reference design - so that's no big issue at the moment.

So, thanks for the fast help!

Antti Lukats

we updated the MAC Address usage in u-boot

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/MAC+Address+usage

and all ref designs that include FSBL will get update too, for this to work both FSBL change (in hooks.c) and u-boot script change are required.