News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Petalinux Image does not boot from self created Boot.bin with imported HDF

Started by Rolf Kary-Ehlers, November 03, 2014, 11:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Kary-Ehlers

Hello,

I try to create a Linux Image with an imported HDF-File for TE0720-02 from Vivado 2014.3.

So I created a PetaLinux project with template "zynq" and importet a hdf file with "petalinux-config --get-hw-description" from the Vivado design.
I also copied the ps7_init.h/c files into the FSBL build folder.

The created image.ub file boots with the Boot.bin from the downloaded Trenz Bsp for this board and runs properly.

So I also created a Boot.bin using the created bit-file, fsbl.elf and u-boot.elf. The same image.ub is not booted by this Boot.bin.
The last console output is: "Starting kernel ..."

Did I forget something in the build process, or did something wrong?

I further tried to locate the error, so i copied the ps7_init.c from the downloaded Trenz-BSP of TE0720-02 into the FSBL build folder and rebuilt all Linux image files and the Boot.bin.
This time the same image.ub was booting properly.

The settings in the ps7_init.c are necessary when we want to use the FPGA design.
Is there something wrong or missing in the settings in the vivado project?
The vivado design runs properly as stand-alone-project.

kind regards
Rolf Kary-Ehlers

Antti Lukats

Hi

as we already explained here: the uneven Vivado version do not have corresponding petalinux release. Only the even ones. We got again confirmation that Vivado 2014.4 should be released 18 November.

with Vivado 2014.3 there seems to be some mess with the import to petalinux, it is something that Xilinx will not fix (as 2014.3 is uneven release without petalinux release).

The issue should be gone with 2014.4, if not we look and find the problem.

We have only tried to use 2014.3 with Microblaze design where the hardware import to petalinux is 100% broken, after seeing this we did not even try to use 2014.3 for zynq, because Xilinx claims 2014.4 is out earlier than we expected.

With 2014.3 Microblaze we did about same behavior, linux boot never did give out anything on console. We had to: pack-port to 2014.2, import from 2014.2, then merge with devicetree generated with 2014.3 using SDK standalone device tree generation, and then we used bit file from 2014.3 - that worked.

We are sorry but we can not support Vivado UNEVEN releases with petalinux, not above the support Xilinx does.

Rolf Kary-Ehlers

Hello Antti,

sorry, I have to correct my request, the hdf file is created with the Vivado 2014.2, so incompatibility is not the problem.

We found that something was missing in the hardware design. The dependecies are very complicated and it is difficult to find an error, if there is not output during the boot procedure.

best regards,
Rolf