News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0722 not detected by vivado hw manager when not powered with TE0790

Started by vertapple, October 02, 2024, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vertapple

Good day,

For context, I am very new to FPGAs, SOCs, vivado and all this stuff.

I have a simple vivado design to turn on the RGB LED, when I power the TE0722 via the the TE0790 (S2 set to on, off, on, on) and auto connect with the hardware manager and program the device. It works just fine!

But when I power via an external supply (TE0790 S2 set to on, off, off, off) and repeat all the above steps I get the "ERROR: [Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:..." and cannot proceed.

I followed the steps from the FAQ, followed the steps from the TE0722 recovery and updated any and all drivers and can't get it to work.

If it's of use, I'm using a siglent SPD 3303C power supply in my uni lab.

vertapple

I also forgot to mention I have searched for similar issues, found them but the solutions did not work.

here are the other forums I looked at:
https://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php?topic=1143.0
https://forum.trenz-electronic.de/index.php?topic=737.0

JH

Hi,
on which pin did you connect your external power supply(3.3V and GND)?
What's the current consumption when you use your laboratory power supply?
Can you measure one time 3.3V voltage on the module?
When you switch back to TE0790 supply, than it's working again?
br
John

vertapple

Good day,

I attached the 3.3V and ground to the pins between P7 and P8 as shown here. perhaps these are not the correct pins?

The current consumption from the power supply was typically around 0.16 A (I thought this a bit high but drew it up to the SOM and the programmer being on the supply).

I have not measured the one time voltage but will be able to once I'm back in the lab.

When I switch back to the TE0790 it does work again.

I appreciate the assistance.

JH

Hi,
Pin P1-9(GND) and Pin1-12(3.3V) are correct.

I've tried it out with older revision02 board and it was working. I've a little bit higher current consumption but on the older module revision are some more components on the board.

Can power 3.3V at first and than connect usb to the xmod?
I saw your effect one or two times that SoC was not visible when I has done it in another way(first USB than 3.3V),  But maybe I just had no real contact for a short time, I just held the supply to the pins.

Can you also check that you use the correct pin and not accidentally some neighbour pin and you back sourcing the module over some normal IOs.

br
John

vertapple

Hey,

thank you for the help. I will test ASAP.

I am confident in the pin setup but it wouldn't hurt to test regardless.

I was recommended to try flash from the SD card as a way to get around the programmer? From the TRM it seem like it may be possible but I cannot find resources on how to do so. Would you be able to advise if that is possible?

Regards,
Jake

JH

Hi,
primary boot from SD is not possible, because of the small FPGA package with less IOs.
What you can do later is program QSPI with an FSBL which is modified to search bitstream and other files from SD(change boot mode inside fsbl code instead using boot mode pins, he should use fix sd and put second boot.bin with bitstream to SD card. In this case PS Konfiguration depends always from your QSPI FSBL version).
Application will be more difficult later, because TE0722 is without RAM, so you need to put it into OCM or block ram or xip: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/2418900993/Zynq+7000+Tips+and+Tricks#Execute-In-Place-(XIP)

br
John

vertapple

Hello, unfortunately I'm back. I only recently went back to the lab and attempted to try some of your suggestions.

Pin setup: It's still the same as before and as far as I'm aware it's fully correct according to the getting started page.

Voltages: When connected to the external supply (no USB connected) I tried to measure between the power supply ground and the 3.3V pin next to pin A (on the getting started schematic) and the boards lights turned off... Which is concerning. Despite all that the board is still detected when powered by the USB and not when powered by external.

I also tried leaving it powered for a while before connecting a USB and that didn't work either.
Weirdly though, when powered without the USB connected, it draws 0.16A. Connecting the USB it would go up to 0.18A, then after disconnecting it, it would go down to 0.12A? seemed a bit strange.

This is for my honours thesis, my due date is in 3 weeks so I'm rather desperate to get it working. I'm going to attempt the recovery process one more time but if that does not work I'd like to know how risky it is to run the SoM on the XMOD? I have a rather large design (I do not know the metrics to measure the size of an FPGA design but I'm using 74% LUTs and about 1W power excluding the external camera module) so I imagine it would not end well.

I appreciate the help you've given thus far.
regards.