News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Optional Oscillator for BASYS 2 Board

Started by captainsimbo, January 03, 2012, 01:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainsimbo

Hi,

Does anyone know of anywhere other than Digikey where I can purchase the optional oscillator for the BASYS 2 board? Digikey charge just over £3 for the device but then a whopping £12 for delivery !!!

The (Digikey) part number is SGR-8002DC-PCC-ND (25MHz) - Note the Digilent documentation is wrong as they give the part number for a surface mount package!

I'm having great fun with the board but the VGA experiments are really rather shaky due to instability with the standard clock.

Thanks,

Simon.

Thorsten Trenz

Hi Simon,
this is a standard 8 pin DIP 3.3V Oscillator. Simply use any type you can get at your local electronic store.

best regards
Thorsten Trenz

captainsimbo

Hi Thorsten,

>this is a standard 8 pin DIP 3.3V Oscillator. Simply use any type you can get at your local electronic store.

That'd be 'Maplin' in the UK but I they don't seem to have anything remotely close.

Do you guys have any? I was thinking of ordering a PMOD or two could you perhaps supply one as part of such an order?

(Looking at RS or Farnell there seems to be a million different ones to choose from!)

Regards,

Simon.

Thorsten Trenz

Hi Simon,
sorry, we do not have stock of such parts.

best regards
Thorsten Trenz

captainsimbo

For any other UK users I got this from a very helpful chap at Digilent (Andrew Skreen) .....

---

You are look for a DIP style oscillator with a four pin configuration. I found that on the Farnell website you can simply go to their oscillator section and select "Through Hole" in the mounting options and "4" as the number of pins. An example of what you would need is shown at the link below. I would also recommend that you look at the Basys2 schematic to see the orientation needed for the oscillator to seat correctly.

Abracon Oscillator-
http://uk.farnell.com/abracon/achl-25-000mhz-ek/oscillator-frequency-25mhz/dp/1652541

Basys2 Schematic-
http://digilentinc.com/Data/Products/BASYS2/Basys2_sch.pdf

----

Farnell do have a £20 minimum order but p&p is free (so I bought a couple of pmods from them to make up the order).

Hopefully the oscillator will arrive soon, I'll give it a try and let everyone know how I got on.

~Simon

captainsimbo

... just to let everyone know Farnell supplied the oscillator very quickly and it worked a treat. VGA output is now very solid.

~Simon

captainsimbo

( Forgot to mention - the input from the oscillator goes to m6 not g6 which is on the silk screen)

Antti Lukats

Quote from: captainsimbo on January 09, 2012, 09:37:05 AM

( Forgot to mention - the input from the oscillator goes to m6 not g6 which is on the silk screen)

HA, yes this should be written BOLD AND READ, do not try VGA without external oscillator!

We are testing ARM Licensed Cortex M0 Core on Basys2, and its VGA output was just rotten until we plugged in the oscillator.

Guess where we did our oscillator? From Xilinx ML505 board :) !
That I call good use of an ML505 !

Antti