News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0706 with TE0720 and TE0790

Started by DG, November 29, 2018, 04:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DG

Hi!

I'm trying to start my first steps with Trenz boards in the following setup:

TE0720-03-1CR stacked on TE0706. TE0790-02 also stacked on TE0706.
The jumper settings on TE0706 are: J10 2-3, J11 2-3 and J12 2-3.
The switch settings on TE0706 are: S1 on, S2 on, S3 off, S4 off.
The switch settings on TE0790 are: S1 on, S2 off, S3 off, S4 on.

The TE0706 is powered with an AC/DC adaptor. An USB cable is attached to the TE0790.

Unfortunately, the board is not displayed in the Vivado Hardware manager. No hardware targets are found.

After powering up the following can be seen:
TE0720: LED2 (red) is blinking with 4Hz.
TE0790: D1 (green) is on.

I checked other posts and I am quite sure, that these settings should be appropriate.
Does anyone know, if I have overseen any facts?

Any help is appreciated!

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,
DIPs and jumper seems to be OK for TE0720.

What did you see exactly on vivado.
Did you see some serial number of the programmer?
Which TE0790 version did you bough? This one with Xilinx licence?

br
John

DG

Hi John,

thank you very much for the reply!
Vivado 2018.1 shows the following:

see Snapshot.jpg.
Open target/Auto Connect does not change anything.

I bought the TE0790-02 which should be the Xilinx compatible version.

Where can I see the serial number of the programmer? Do I need any special driver for the FTDI chip? The device manager shows me a new COM25 after connecting the cable.

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,

there should be a Digilent serial number visible on vivado. Normally only Xilinx JTAG driver installation is necessary. Did you done this?
Which OS did you use?
Can you send me the serial number of the TE0790 (number on the sticker with the QR code)?
Did you try to get access to the TE0790 FTDI with FTDI tools? (If you do this it can happens that the tool can erase the licence without notification).
Can you download one time ToolZ-1-0-0-4.zip:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Software/ToolZ

Close vivado, check on Windows task manager, that hw_server.exe is closed and open ToolZ and press detect. What did you see in the messages console?
br
John

DG

Hi John,

Snapshot2 shows the Hardware Manager in Vivado 2018.1 with the TE0790. Snapshot1 shows the results, when I connect my platform USB cable II.
Should anything similar be visible?

I did not install Xilinx JTAG driver explicitly. Isn't it installed with Vivado? I checked with 2018.1 and 2018.2.2: same results.
I use Windows 7 Professional, 64Bit.

The serial number on my TE0790 is: 509626.

I did not access with FTDI tools.
In the ToolZ, the TE0790 seems to be identified correctly: see Snapshot3. What does this mean? Why isn't it running in Vivado?
Is this a driver issue?

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,
from ToolZ screenshot, TE0790 EEPROM configuration seems to be correct, it's programmed with Digilent ID:

Normally you should see local host with Digilent ID instead of Xilinx from the Xilinx programmer.

Did you use TE0790 standalone in this case? Or connected to the carrier and carrier was on?

JTAG driver will be installed with Vivado normally, but you can also deselect on installation or it was not installed properly in case you has connected JTAG devices during installation.

Can you use annother USB cable and the USB port on your PC?
Use at first TE0790 without carrier and module and DIP switch on TE0790 1ON,2OFF,3OFF,4ON(TE0790 core power over USB).
Can you share results?

br
John

DG

Hi John,

in the previous setups, I was using TE0706. As you proposed, I used only the TE0790 and switched to another USB port of my PC (DIP switches to: on, off, off, on), now. Unfortunately, I got the same results in Vivado. I tested two other USB ports.

The JTAG drivers should be installed correctly. During installation, the programmer was not connected.

Kind regards,
DG

JH

DG

JH

Hi,

can you try out one time:

[
lihttps://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#MicrosoftUSBView][/li]
[/list]
What did you see, when you connect TE0790?
I add a example screenshot at the attachment.

br
John

DG

Hi John,

please see attachment.
It seems similar to your screenshot.

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,
can you try out one time install vivado 2017.2 lab edition (it's programmer part  of vivado only) on your Win7.
We used last time Vivado 17.2 and 17.4 on an Win7 machine. Normally also newer Vivado version should work on Win7 but at the moment I've no other idea.
Everything seems to be OK with your TE0790.
Do you have another PC with Win10?
br
John

DG

Hi John,

I connected the TE0790 to a coworker's PC with Windows 10....and it worked!
Vivado 2018.1 Lab Tools identified the device correctly (Digilent ID).

Is this one of the prerequisites of the TE0790? Doesn't it run on Win7?
I don't have 2017 Vivado versions installed. I checked with 2016.3 and it did not work.

What do you suggest? How can I progress with my Win7 PC?

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,

normally it works on Win7 with Xilinx driver installation. We used it also in the past with Win7.
It will be FTDI driver, and licence key is needed to make it visible on Vivado, that's the reason why for example ToolZ find this programmer.

But when 16.3 also not works, I think something of your drivers are not installed proper.

Can you reinstall FTDI driver and maybe also JTAG driver part of Vivado 2018.2 again.

br
John

DG

Hi John,

I reinstalled the drivers, as you proposed.
After reinstalling both drivers as described, the TE0790 was identified as a new USB device and the new driver was automatically selected and correctly used (message window appeared in the task bar).

Unfortunately, even after a restart of the PC, the TE0790 is still not seen in the Vivado tools.

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,

QuoteAfter reinstalling both drivers as described, the TE0790 was identified as a new USB device and the new driver was automatically selected and correctly used (message window appeared in the task bar).
this means it works? You see the Digilent ID in vivado on your Win 7 PC as long as you did not restart PC? Or you didn't checked on vivado before you restart the PC?

br
John

DG

Hi John,

no, no.
I meant, that after the driver re-installation there was some kind of change and windows showed me that the new driver is being used in raising the message in the task bar (on the right bottom of the screen). This happened after re-connecting the TE0790.

Then I started Vivado and saw that it was still not working.
Then I restarted Windows and restarted Vivado but still no changes.

It was never working.

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,
at the moment I've no really another idea to fix this issue on your WIN 7 OS.

If it is working on Win 10 but not on Win7, it seems to be some OS or driver problem. Drivers are from FTDI / Xilinx and licence is from digilent.
I also searched a little bit for such a kind of isse, but I did't find any hint to this kind of issue.

Which Windows 7 version did you use? Which OS language? Which path for Xilinx installation (default C:/Xilinx ?)?

br
John

DG

Hi John,

I am using:
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
64 Bit
German language
Xilinx installation is on: d:\Programme\Xilinx

In the meantime, we checked the TE0790 with another PC of a co-worker. This time with Win7. After connecting the TE to the PC we got the following message:
see snapshot. But (!) even with this error, the TE0790 was working properly! It is identified correctly in Vivado 2018.2.2.

This makes no sense for me. He has the same Windows version and settings except for the installation path.

Would it make sense to run the TE0706 with the Xilinx programmer instead? Do I only have to connect the signals to the appropriate pins of the TE0790? Or do you see any disadvantages with this setup?

Kind regards,
DG

JH

Hi,
Xilinx installation is on: d:\Programme\Xilinx
This should be OK if d:\Programme is not the default Windows directory for programs, because you must always pay attention of space characters in the path and use short paths, also on your vivado projects.
--> c:/Programme on windows is c:/Program Files, if you check the folder with cmd.

So sorry that I ask again to verify:
- TE0790 works with Win10 on other PC
- TE0790 works with Win7 on other PC, despite of driver installation error --> Digilent USB device installation failed
- TE0790 doesn't work with Win7 on your PC
Correct?

You can try out to install Vivado on Xilinx default install directory (I think it will make no different, but maybe...)
Did you installed some other programs or tools which use FTDI driver?

Would it make sense to run the TE0706 with the Xilinx programmer instead? Do I only have to connect the signals to the appropriate pins of the TE0790? Or do you see any disadvantages with this setup?
This works also, but you has no UART available with Xilinx programmer. --> But maybe connect JTAG part to Xilinx programmer and other IOs to the TE0790 for UART.

br
John

DG

QuoteSo sorry that I ask again to verify:
- TE0790 works with Win10 on other PC
- TE0790 works with Win7 on other PC, despite of driver installation error --> Digilent USB device installation failed
- TE0790 doesn't work with Win7 on your PC
Correct?

Yes, unfortunately.

QuoteYou can try out to install Vivado on Xilinx default install directory (I think it will make no different, but maybe...)
I don't have enough space on c:. Since I agree to your opinion, (it will make no different) it will probably not be worth trouble.

QuoteDid you installed some other programs or tools which use FTDI driver?
I don't know.

In the meantime I connected the Xilinx Programmer: please see snapshot.
Is it normal that the temperature readout is incorrect? Or do prefer another thread for this issue?
Or do I need any additional pull-ups for this setup?

Kind regards,
DG

DG

John,

I apologize for being so intrusive!
I really appreciate your help...

Kind regards,
DG

JH

QuoteIs it normal that the temperature readout is incorrect? Or do prefer another thread for this issue?
if PS is not initialised or application on the zynq PS, like linux stops JTAG access to XADC.

Boot System with Hello TE0720 application from the reference design and you should see temperature.
br
John