News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

ArduZynq: how much does it heat?

Started by sonycman, November 12, 2018, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonycman

Hello!

The ArduZynq is very good looking board, but I can`t find information of its power consumption and temperature emission the FPGA produce?
I`am especially interested in its single core variant - TE0723-03-07S-1C.

Could somebody tell me to which temperature the Zynq chip heats up?
Just empty board, without any firmware loaded?

And how much current it consume?

Because my project is not that big and I`am very concerned about these things.

Thanks in advance,
Vlad.

JH

Hello,
temperature and power consumption depends mainly on your design and cooling solution.

Xilinx provide power estimator:

SoC on TE0723 is very small, for "small" design, heatsink is not really needed. But the module is small, so the heat can't spread so well.
You has select assembly version with commercial temperature range, so junction temperature up to 80°C are allowed:

We provide also some notes to the on board power regulators:

br
John

sonycman

Thank you, John.
But could you be more practical, please?

If I take empty board and power it up - how hot will be the ZYNQ chip after, say, 5-10 minutes passes?
50 degrees Celsius, 60 degrees?

There is not much difference in power consumption and heat dissipation between 7010 and 7007 ZYNQ chips, I suppose?

JH

Hi,

which ambient temperature, with or without heat sink, other board connected to the module, inside enclosure?
I've a assembly variant with 7010 on place, uboot is running and some VIO on PL side --> starts with 40°C and goes up to appr. 50°C, if I add a BGA heatsink it goes down to 45°C.  Measured with XADC on Vivado (--> to get a value PS must be initialised).

br
John

sonycman

That was very helpful, John!
One last thing - how much current does your board consume?
Just the board alone?

JH

Hi,
sorry that depends mainly on your design and cooling solution. you find the information, what the power regulator max. provide here:
And you can estimate power consumption with or use vivado from your project:

This board from last post with uboot+ some VIO on PL running appr. 1.1W at 5V USB after power on.

br
John

sonycman

So not that much of current, I see.
Think I should give that board a try.

Thanks!