News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0715 / TE0703

Started by Arno, August 20, 2018, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arno

Dear all,
I am having issues with my TE0715 board, probably not a big deal for the experts here.
The board just won't boot off the SD card, that contains the Trenz Demo project. I can access the U-Boot console via serial port, which tells me:
Card did not respond to voltage select.
The dip switches are set as described in the wiki.

Thank you in advance!
Arno

JH

Hi,

which TE0703 revision do you have?
Which TE0715 assembly option(article number)?
Which reference design did you use? Can you tell me the zip name please.

So FSBL starts from SD and load uboot, but UBoot can't get access to SD again, correct? Or did you  start boot.bin from QSPI Flash?
Did you try out some other designs before and maybe saved uboot environment on qspi flash?

Can you print the complete console output please. And also tell me the dip switch configuration.

br
John

Arno

Dear John,
thank you for the quick response.

The TE0703 is Rev. 05.
The TE0715 is TE0715-03-15-1I3 https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/de/TE0715-04-15-1I3-SoC-Micromodul-mit-Xilinx-Zynq-XC7Z015-1CLG485I-low-profile

You can find the reference design under Downloads in the link above.

U-Boot starts from the QSPI-Flash. It makes no difference if there is a SD card in the slot or not.
As you can see in the manual [1] on page 8 the DIP switch No. 4 must be set to GND.
This is my first test run, so I did not save any configs on the QSPI flash.

[1]  https://www.trenz-electronic.de/fileadmin/docs/Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/4x5_Carriers/TE0703/REV05/Documents/TRM-TE0703-05.pdf

JH

Dear  Arno,

the 2017.4 design? --> TE0715-test_board-vivado_2017.4-build_07_20180426171530.zip or older one?

As you can see in the manual [1] on page 8 the DIP switch No. 4 must be set to GND.

You boot from flash if you set S2-4 to GND?

S2-4 ON: Boot from SD Card (set Pin to GND)
S2-4 OFF:   Boot from QSPI flash on module (set Pin to VDD)

[
lihttps://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0703+TRM#TE0703TRM-DIPswitches][/li]
[/list]

So I think you has set S2-4 to OFF?

U-Boot starts from the QSPI-Flash. It makes no difference if there is a SD card in the slot or not.
On our reference design, uboot try to get access to SD to load linux image, so if SD is not available you get the message "Card did not respond to voltage select!"

Reference design description:

br
John

Arno

Dear John,
yes, it is the 2017.4 ref. design and I followed exactly the steps described here:

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0715+Test+Board#TE0715TestBoard-Launch

Arno

JH

Hi,

did you put all on SD and start booting from SD? Maybe I was a little bit confused from you message before: "U-Boot starts from the QSPI-Flash. It makes no difference if there is a SD card in the slot or not."

How is the SD formatted?
Did you try out another SD?
Which kind of SD did you use? Name...

br
John

Arno

Dear John,

I am using a 4GB Intenso Class 10 SD card, which has a 200 MB FAT32 partition and a ext4 partition, containing the rootfs.
Also tried another 4GB Class 10 SD card (XLYNE) without any success.

Arno

JH

What's happens if you boot from SD? Did you try out this? Is not clear for me.
Doesn't boot or it stops on uboot?
br
John

Arno

Dear John,
when I try to boot off the SD card (command: boot) the same error (voltage...) shows up.

Arno

JH

Dear Arno,

for TE0715-03-15-1I3 copy from  TE0715-test_board-vivado_2017.4-build_07_20180426171530.zip

• test_board\prebuilt\os\petalinux\default\image.ub
  • test_board\prebuilt\boot_images\03_15_1i\u-boot\BOOT.bin
on a SD (FAT32).
Set TE0703 DIP to:

• S2-1 : OFF
  • S2-2 : ON
  • S2-3 : ON
  • S2-4 : ON (SD Boot)

insert SD Card and power on.

Does the boot process starts and stop on uboot, if you do this?

br
John

Arno

Dear John,
first of all: please excuse my ultra late response. A lot of things happened here so I was not able to get back to the topic.
Today I was able to do some more research, but: the error stays the same.
I reprogrammed the CPLD, tested several SD Cards, but no success at all. Output is always:
Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init -95 time 23
*** Bad device mmc 0 ***
no mmc device at slot 0

BR

JH

Dear Arno,
you has done:
Quotefor TE0715-03-15-1I3 copy from  TE0715-test_board-vivado_2017.4-build_07_20180426171530.zip

test_board\prebuilt\os\petalinux\default\image.ub
    test_board\prebuilt\boot_images\03_15_1i\u-boot\BOOT.bin

on a SD (FAT32).
Set TE0703 DIP to:

S2-1 : OFF
    S2-2 : ON
    S2-3 : ON
    S2-4 : ON (SD Boot)

insert SD Card and power on.

Does the boot process starts and stop on uboot, if you do this?
And than it stops on uboot, yes?
Which CPLD did you reprogrammed?

Arno

Yes, exactly! U-Boot does not recognize any SD card.
I reprogrammed the CPLD on the carrier board.
BR

JH

Hi,

so Boot ROM and FSBL get access and will start from SD, but not uboot.
Can you send me the whole console log, starts from the FSBL output up to uboot.
br
John

Arno

Dear John,
here is my console output:

Zynq> reset
resetting ...
Xilinx Zynq First Stage Boot Loader (TE modified)
Release 2018.2  Oct  1 2018-11:25:05
-------------------------
Configure PLL
Si5338 Rev 1 Initialization             Done
-------------------------

U-Boot 2018.01 (Sep 20 2018 - 17:07:15 +0200) Xilinx Zynq ZC702

Board: Xilinx Zynq
Silicon: v3.1
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  ECC disabled 1 GiB
MMC:   Card did not respond to voltage select!
mmc_init: -95, time 23
sdhci@e0100000 - probe failed: -95
mmc_init: -95, time 24

SF: Detected s25fl256s_64k with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 64 KiB, total 32  MiB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial@e0000000
Out:   serial@e0000000
Err:   serial@e0000000
Board: Xilinx Zynq
Silicon: v3.1
Net:   ZYNQ GEM: e000b000, phyaddr ffffffff, interface rgmii-id
eth0: ethernet@e000b000
U-BOOT for petalinux

ethernet@e000b000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete......... TIMEOUT !
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
mmc_init: -95, time 24
** Bad device mmc 0 **
no mmc device at slot 0
Zynq>

May the SD clock be a problem? In the Demo file it is set to 100 MHz.

BR

JH

Hi,

can you tell me the LED colour of the ETH connector on the TE0703 (I think you has programmed newest Firmware, correct?) ? Orange or green?

br
John

Arno

Hi John,

when I switch the DIP switch to SD boot the LEDs become orange, otherwise green (as it should be).

BR

JH

Hi,

Ok. The only way to reproduce your log on my place is to remove the sd card.

Can you try out following things:

1. on uboot type"env default -a", after that reboot and type one time "mmc info"  and "printenv"--> please share the whole log
    User can save Uboot environment on QSPI(did you do this before?), uboot try to use this if available. --> normally the  issue is another but maybe
2. Remove the module and reconnect again. BootRom, FSBL, Uboot and Linux reinitialised sd separate and check more an more, maybe contact is bad. Remove and plug on again.
    To remove module, see: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/4+x+5+SoM+Integration+Guide#id-4x5SoMIntegrationGuide-Remove4x5module
    PS: Modules are available with connectors with different stacking high.  If you use the wrong distance bolt, than contact is not given. --> So module is connected correctly?

So if both not help, please contact "support@trenz-electronic.de".

br
John

Arno

Dear John,
the module is connected correcty, I re-connected it one more time.

resetting to default environment makes no difference. Attached is output of 'printenv'.

Zynq> printenv
arch=arm
autoload=no
baudrate=115200
board=zynq
board_name=zynq
boot_img=BOOT.BIN
bootcmd=run default_bootcmd
bootdelay=4
bootenv=uEnv.txt
bootenvsize=0x20000
bootenvstart=0x500000
clobstart=0x10000000
console=console=ttyPS0,115200
cp_kernel2ram=mmcinfo && fatload mmc ${sdbootdev} ${netstart} ${kernel_img}
cpu=armv7
default_bootcmd=run uenvboot; run cp_kernel2ram && bootm ${netstart}
dfu_mmc_info=set dfu_alt_info ${kernel_image} fat 0 1\\;dfu_mmc=run dfu_mmc_info && dfu 0 mmc 0
dfu_ram=run dfu_ram_info && dfu 0 ram 0
dfu_ram_info=setenv dfu_alt_info image.ub ram $netstart 0x1e00000
dtb_img=system.dtb
dtbnetstart=0x23fff000
eraseenv=sf probe 0 && sf erase ${bootenvstart} ${bootenvsize}
ethact=ethernet@e000b000
ethaddr=00:0a:35:00:1e:53
fault=echo ${img} image size is greater than allocated place - partition ${img} is NOT UPDATED
fdtcontroladdr=3ffa70a0
importbootenv=echo "Importing environment from SD ..."; env import -t ${loadbootenv_addr} $filesize
install_boot=mmcinfo && fatwrite mmc ${sdbootdev} ${clobstart} ${boot_img} ${filesize}
install_jffs2=sf probe 0 && sf erase ${jffs2start} ${jffs2size} && sf write ${clobstart} ${jffs2start} ${filesize}
install_kernel=mmcinfo && fatwrite mmc ${sdbootdev} ${clobstart} ${kernel_img} ${filesize}
jffs2_img=rootfs.jffs2
kernel_img=image.ub
load_boot=tftpboot ${clobstart} ${boot_img}
load_dtb=tftpboot ${clobstart} ${dtb_img}
load_jffs2=tftpboot ${clobstart} ${jffs2_img}
load_kernel=tftpboot ${clobstart} ${kernel_img}
loadaddr=0x10000000
loadbootenv=load mmc $sdbootdev:$partid ${loadbootenv_addr} ${bootenv}
loadbootenv_addr=0x00100000
modeboot=qspiboot
nc=setenv stdout nc;setenv stdin nc;
netboot=tftpboot ${netstart} ${kernel_img} && bootm
netstart=0x10000000
psserial0=setenv stdout ttyPS0;setenv stdin ttyPS0
sd_uEnvtxt_existence_test=test -e mmc $sdbootdev:$partid /uEnv.txt
sd_update_dtb=echo Updating dtb from SD; mmcinfo && fatload mmc ${sdbootdev}:1 ${clobstart} ${dtb_img} && run install_dtb
sd_update_jffs2=echo Updating jffs2 from SD; mmcinfo && fatload mmc ${sdbootdev}:1 ${clobstart} ${jffs2_img} && run install_jffs2
sdbootdev=0
serial=setenv stdout serial;setenv stdin serial
serverip=192.168.150.127
soc=zynq
stderr=serial@e0000000
stdin=serial@e0000000
stdout=serial@e0000000
test_crc=if imi ${clobstart}; then run test_img; else echo ${img} Bad CRC - ${img} is NOT UPDATED; fi
test_img=setenv var "if test ${filesize} -gt ${psize}; then run fault; else run ${installcmd}; fi"; run var; setenv var
thor_mmc=run dfu_mmc_info && thordown 0 mmc 0
thor_ram=run dfu_ram_info && thordown 0 ram 0
uenvboot=if run sd_uEnvtxt_existence_test; then run loadbootenv; echo Loaded environment from ${bootenv}; run importbootenv; fi; if test -n $uenvcmd; then echo Running uenvcmd ...; run uenvcmd; fi
update_boot=setenv img boot; setenv psize ${bootsize}; setenv installcmd "install_boot"; run load_boot ${installcmd}; setenv img; setenv psize; setenv installcmd
update_dtb=setenv img dtb; setenv psize ${dtbsize}; setenv installcmd "install_dtb"; run load_dtb test_img; setenv img; setenv psize; setenv installcmd
update_jffs2=setenv img jffs2; setenv psize ${jffs2size}; setenv installcmd "install_jffs2"; run load_jffs2 test_img; setenv img; setenv psize; setenv installcmd
update_kernel=setenv img kernel; setenv psize ${kernelsize}; setenv installcmd "install_kernel"; run load_kernel ${installcmd}; setenv img; setenv psize; setenv installcmd
vendor=xilinx

Environment size: 3560/131068 bytes

JH

Hi,
last idea: Which external power supply did you use? What's the max. current? In case of laboratory power supply, did you set some limit? If yes, can you increase?

I've no other idea at the moment, normally uboot with our PS configuration get access to SD, if the FSBL and Boot-ROM works with SD. So please contact "support@trenz-electronic.de".

br
John

Arno

Hi John,
I testet two different PSUs, which were significantly stronger than needed. The boards will now be going back to Trenz for investigation.

Thank you so much for your help!
Arno