News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0808 + TEBF0808 bring up

Started by AlexK, July 12, 2018, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexK

Hello,
I am trying to bring up Petalinux on TE0808.
I am doing exactly as said in TE0808 StarterKit documentation (using the prebuilt images).

However, I am not able to see any console output.
I connect the USB cable (mini-USB) to the connector wired on J12.

Can you assist please?

Thanks,
Alex

Kalicutt

Hello Alex,

I noticed when I tried this and had a similar problem it was due to Linux seeing two different interfaces (ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1) when connected to the UART port.  I had to select ttyUSB1, as ttyUSB0 did not have any output.  I imagine you might see a similar thing with multiple COM ports on Windows if you are using that.

JH

Hi,
yes, it correct, there are 2 ports available over this USB connector. One is for JTAG (first) and one for UART (second). Depending on driver installation 1 or 2 COM ports are visible. If you see 2 COM ports use the second one.
If you has still problems, let me know.

br
John

kapi

Hello,
I have similar problem. The difference is that I can see only single serial port after connecting USB cable (ttyUSB1). ttyUSB0 gets automatically disconnected so it disappears from the system. So I am left with only single serial device which does not give any console output. It seems like the others got problem solved with using the second port. But this does not work for me :-(  The red LED on XMOD with green dot keeps flashing (4Hz I guess - around twice as fast as red LED on the second XMOD). After pressing power button red LED keeps flashing the same way (on green dot XMOD) on the other XMOD the red led lights solid red. D7 indicates boot from SD. I get no output on the console. Have tried own binaries, prebuilt binaries from 2018.2 and 2016.4, changed USB cable. Tried power down/power up the board. Unplugged power supply - nothing seems to help. Do you have any suggestions how to proceed?

Regards,
KP

JH

Hello,
if you see one or 2 ports depends on driver installation, both is possible.

I think you has another problem:

What's does the red LED on the TE0808 module? ON or OFF after power up?
XMOD LED (J12 green dot): Continuous flashing after power button is pressed? Or rather 4 blinks with a short break? I think continuous, yes?

Do you use TE0808 with TEBF0808 stand-alone? Which Power Supply did you use? Some current limit?
Which TE0808 assembly version did you use? I need order number or serial number on the module. Which TEBF0808 Revision did you use?
Did you select correct Boot files for your assembly variant?

br
John

kapi

I have TEBF0808-04A (SN 521439) with TE0803-01 (SN 513161), 12V 3A power supply.
After power supply is connected:
D6 on TEBF0808 is ON (RED)
D7 blinks (I would describe it as: *o*ooooooooo)
Green LEDs on XMODs are ON
Red LED on XMOD1 (green dot) blinks fast *o*o*o*o
Red LED on XMOD2 blinks slower **oo**oo

After power button is pressed (S1 on TEBF0808):
D6 on TEBF0808 starts blinking (*ooooooo - fits SD card boot pattern)
D7 is off
Green LEDs on XMODs are ON
Red LED on XMOD1 (green dot) blinks fast *o*o*o*o (no change here)
Red LED on XMOD2 is ON

I used prebuilt boot_images/3egb_sk/u-boot/boot.bin os/petalinux/3egb_sk/image.ub from StarterKit TE0803-Starterkit-vivado_2018.2-build_02_20180814103204.zip.
I also tried own build with PARTNUMBER=20.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,
KP

kapi

Do you have any suggestions how to proceed with the board? Right now I am still stuck with unbootable board :-( Do you have any detailed information on decoding blinking red LED on XMOD1? PS_ERROR_OUT pattern for this LED on https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Slave+CPLD#TEBF0808SlaveCPLD-LED does not seem to fit...

Regards,
KP

JH

Hi,
sorry for the late reply.

Did you set any current limit for your power supply?
Can you check again if the module is fit correctly on the carrier.
Can you tell me all DIP settings please.

For TE0803-01-03EG-1EB:

• boot_images/3egb_sk/u-boot/boot.bin
  • os/petalinux/3egb_sk/image.ub
is correct.

Which format has your SD card and how much space?

What did you mean with "S_ERROR_OUT pattern for this LED on...does not seem to fit... "?

Green LEDs on XMODs are ON mean power supply.

From your description:
First was power OFF(FMC FAN is off?)

• Red LED on XMOD1 (green dot) blinks fast *o*o*o*o  -> PS_INIT_B (this blinks on power only if you use external 12V, because not everything is of on this external power supply (some futures are ATX depends)). I will try to clarify this a little bit more in the documentation

• Red LED on XMOD2 blinks slower **oo**oo: this is normally only blink if the Main Power Reset Button is set (S2) or power off (S1 not set --> FMC FAN is off), so OK
Second(S1 pressed and FMC FAN is ON?):

• D6 on TEBF0808 starts blinking (*ooooooo - fits SD card boot pattern) --> I think a typo? his should be D7(RED) with SD boot
  • D7 is off --> I think a typo? This should be D6(Green) with Power OK
  • Green LEDs on XMODs are ON -> XMOD Power
  • Red LED on XMOD1 (green dot) blinks fast *o*o*o*o (no change here) --> PS_INIT_B if it is continuous blinking
  • Red LED on XMOD2 is ON: Pin from FPGA
  • What does the red LED on the TE0803? I think ON correct?
Can you connect JTAG and check one time Vivado HW Manager devices after S1 is pressed and FMC FAN is ON.Did you see FPGA and ARM_DAP (Important not dummy_DAP!)?

br
John

kapi

I have external 12V power supply (no ATX power). I have no overcurrent on the power supply. Current is ~0.26A when turned off, 0.4A after power on (pressing the power button).
Module seem to fit correctly on the carrier board.

DIP settings (no change to factory settings):
S4
1 OFF
2 OFF
3 OFF
4 ON

S5
1 ON
2 ON
3 OFF
4 OFF

S2 XMOD1
1 ON
2 OFF
3 OFF
4 OFF

S2 XMOD2
1 ON
2 OFF
3 OFF
4 OFF

I used 8GB microSD card, first partition tried FAT16, FAT32 100MB, 1GB in size.

"S_ERROR_OUT pattern for this LED on...does not seem to fit... " - sorry it was supposed to be PS_ERROR_OUT, on the page: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Slave+CPLD#TEBF0808SlaveCPLD-LED in the "XMOD LED  Red (XMOD1 on J12 with green dot)" description there is PS_ERROR_OUT status - but it does not match the blinking status of the red LED I see on my XMOD1.

In my description I meant: power off - FAN is off, power on - FAN is on

Yes. You are correct. There is a typo: D6 is the green one, D7 is red one.

After Power On:
D7 (red LED) blinks showing that it will boot from SD card
D6 (green LED) is OFF.
Red LED on TE0803 is always on.

After connecting JTAG I see xczu3_0 and ARM_DAP (dummy_DAP shows when the board is off, when I turn it on it changes to ARM_DAP). I can take a look into temperature sensor: it shows -279 (minus 279) on xczu3_0, and 38 on ARM_DAP.

Regards,
KP

JH

Hi,
at the moment you has a problem with system boot.
--> FPGA DONE pin is on
--> Current consumption of 0.4A
--> PS_INIT active

QuoteI have no overcurrent on the power supply. Current is ~0.26A when turned off, 0.4A after power on (pressing the power button).
So no current limit is set on your power supply, OK. On power up it need a little bit more current for a short time, this is sometimes not recognized but the boot process will be stopped. So I ask this.

At the moment you has more than one partition on SD? Is only one of them fat32 or more than one?
Can you try one time SD Card with only one fat32 partition and prebuilt from download please.
And you add only on SD correct? To microSD or normal SD?

About XMOD1 RED LED:

• *o*o*o*o you means continuous blinking correct, so PS_INIT is displayed. 
  • if it blinks 5 times with a break, than it's PS_ERROR_OUT and PS_INIT was OK
  • if ON or OFF, than DONE and PS_INIT and IS_ERROR_OUT is OK
There is a priority, first PS_INIT, second PS_ERROR_OUT, third DONE Pin(Done output is the same as on TE0803 LED).

Red LED on TE0803 is the DONE Pin, so FPGA part is never programmed (FSBL never start or does not finished).

Negative temperature on PL is OK, because part to XADC is not initialize.

So let me know, if SD with one fat32 partition works.

br
John

kapi

I have tried different SD card (formatted from scratch). Something to be done at the begining :-( It boots normally. Thank you for your support.
I can see you were faster with the reply then me :-)

I tried with single FAT32 partition and it booted normally. I added second ext4 partition and it still boots. The first SD card seems to be OK. Can the partition layout (apart from first being FAT32) influence boot process?

Regards,
KP

JH

Hi,

QuoteCan the partition layout (apart from first being FAT32) influence boot process?
yes, I think BootROM has searched on wrong partition.
Use one FAt32 for boot and one ext4 for filesystem(in case you want use SD as filesytem)
Xilinx has some notes:

But it's good to hear that it works now.

br
John

kapi

I used this Xilinx resource to prepare SD card, with the first card I was not able to boot even if the card seems to be perfectly OK during write/read... Anyway, it works now. Thank you again for your support.

Regards,
KP