News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0726-01 problems booting Linux after QSPI flash programmed

Started by ldierks, June 06, 2018, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldierks

Hi,

I am new to the Zynqberry and struggled with a problem for the last two weeks. After having programmed the QSPI flash memory, my Zynqberry won't boot Linux anymore. There is no Output at all when I connect to it via UART.

I followed this tutorial: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Project+Delivery . After using "TE::pr_program_flash_binfile -swapp u-boot" the boot does not work anymore. I could confirm that:

1. Linux booted just fine from the exact same SD card - I used a second Zynqberry and it worked until I tried to program the flash memory on this Zynqberry too. So it has something to do with the flash memory and the FSBL.
2. When I try a standalone application like with "TE::pr_program_flash_binfile -swapp hello_te0726" it works

I use Vivado 2017.4 and the corresponding reference design just like in the tutorial mentioned above. I really don't want to do something fancy, just get it working again.

Can I provide more information? Here is the output of the flash programming:

TE::pr_program_flash_binfile -swapp u-boot
Start Flash Programming with BIN File
Used file:/local/ldierks/bachelor2018/vivado_projects/test_board/prebuilt/boot_images/01/u-boot/Boot.bin
INFO: [TE_PR-41] Start program flash:
  Run "exec program_flash -f BOOT.bin -fsbl /local/ldierks/bachelor2018/vivado_projects/test_board/prebuilt/software/01/zynq_fsbl_flash.elf -flash_type qspi_single" in /local/ldierks/bachelor2018/vivado_projects/test_board/prebuilt/boot_images/01/u-boot
  Please Wait..
  ------
INFO: [TE_EXT-4] Command results from program flash "exec program_flash -f BOOT.bin -fsbl /local/ldierks/bachelor2018/vivado_projects/test_board/prebuilt/software/01/zynq_fsbl_flash.elf -flash_type qspi_single":

****** Xilinx Program Flash
****** Program Flash v2017.4.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2117270 on Tue Jan 30 15:31:13 MST 2018
    ** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Connecting to hw_server @ TCP:localhost:3121

Connected to hw_server @ TCP:localhost:3121
Available targets and devices:
Target 0 : jsn-JTAG-ONB4-251633000001A
Device 0: jsn-JTAG-ONB4-251633000001A-4ba00477-0

Retrieving Flash info...

Initialization done, programming the memory
BOOT_MODE REG = 0x00000001
WARNING: [Xicom 50-100] The current boot mode is QSPI.
If flash programming fails, configure device for JTAG boot mode and try again.
f probe 0 0 0

Performing Erase Operation...
Erase Operation successful.
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 5 sec.
Performing Program Operation...
0%...20%...40%...60%...80%...100%
Program Operation successful.
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 3 sec.

Flash Operation Successful
  ------
INFO: [Labtoolstcl 44-664] Will wait up to 180 seconds for booting to complete.
INFO: [Labtools 27-2278] Zynq reset successful
INFO: [TE_PR-1] Reboot Device is done (Note successfully software reboot depends also on devices design).
INFO: [Labtools 27-1435] Device xc7z010 (JTAG device index = 1) is not programmed (DONE status = 0).
INFO: [TE_PR-2] Refresh Device is done.
INFO: [TE_PR-56] Programming elapsed time: 16 seconds
Flash Programming with BIN File finished
/local/ldierks/bachelor2018/vivado_projects/test_board/prebuilt/boot_images/01/u-boot/Boot.bin

P.S.: I now saw that there are also some warnings in Vivado. Could this result in the problem mentioned?
https://ibb.co/ckf7Q8

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

we have several Zynqberry examples with Linux, which one are you using?
Please provide your board full type information and exact project name.
You can build your own FSBL with debug information to define exact reason of failure.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

ldierks

Hi,

Quotewe have several Zynqberry examples with Linux, which one are you using?
i followed these instructions: https://eewiki.net/display/Motley/Getting+Started+with+the+ZynqBerry and used the Prebuild Linux example there. As I mentioned, the linux on the SD card was booting fine until I programmed the QSPI flash.

QuotePlease provide your board full type information and exact project name.
TE0726-01 right?

QuoteYou can build your own FSBL with debug information to define exact reason of failure.
Can you give me a hint on how to do that?

Are the warnings I mentioned to be expected? Or does this somehow indicate, that my configuration still must be wrong?

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello.

There is 3 types of this board TE0726-03R, TE0726-03M and TE0726-03-07S-1C. Incorrect type selection will cause boot problem. Please define your board type in design_basic_settings.cmd
To build FSBL with debug messages:
TE::hw_build_project
TE::sw_run_sdk
create new Application project using "Zynq FSBL for QSPI Programming" template
open src/fsbl_debug.h and add #define FSBL_DEBUG_INFO at beginning of the file.
build the project, generate an image file and program flash.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

ldierks

QuoteThere is 3 types of this board TE0726-03R, TE0726-03M and TE0726-03-07S-1C

Is there a way of telling, which one from the outside? I got this board from my university and cannot find a way to be sure. I attached pictures of the board here.

https://ibb.co/g4sM2o
https://ibb.co/e7Nca8

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

For this module please change
@set PARTNUMBER=LAST_ID
to
@set PARTNUMBER=1
in design_basic_settings.cmd
recreate and rebuild your project. It should solve your problem.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko