News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

I can't program the TE0720 flash with JTAG

Started by joseer, May 22, 2018, 07:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joseer

Hello,

Before explain the issue I'd like to clarify that we've been using successfully a TE0720 in one of our projects using our custom carrier board and the TE0790-02 JTAG tool, with Vivado (2017.3), using SDK to program the flash with the fsbl and our application, no issues regarding programming and hardware.

We've got two TE0720 boards, and today I started to work with the second one, which was test it when we bought it but never used more intensively, always we kept it as spare unit.

Well the thing is that one of the times I was programming the TE0720 in our custom carrier board (using the TE0790-02 JTAG tool), for some reason the process got stuck at 0%..., I waited a while but I finally had to cancelled it and since then when I'm trying to program I've got:

cmd /C program_flash -f \
C:\Projects_dev\MainProjects\TDM\TDMv2\Firmware\TDM_TE0720\TDMv2.sdk\TDMv16_frimware\bootimage\BOOT.bin \
-offset 0 -flash_type qspi_single -fsbl \
C:\Projects_dev\MainProjects\TDM\TDMv2\Firmware\TDM_TE0720\TDMv2.sdk\fsbl\Debug\fsbl.elf \
-cable type xilinx_tcf url TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

****** Xilinx Program Flash
****** Program Flash v2017.3 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 2018833 on Wed Oct  4 19:58:22 MDT 2017
    ** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Connecting to hw_server @ TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

WARNING: Failed to connect to hw_server at TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
Attempting to launch hw_server at TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

Connected to hw_server @ TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
Available targets and devices:
Target 0 : jsn-JTAG-ONB4-251633000D5DA
Device 0: jsn-JTAG-ONB4-251633000D5DA-4ba00477-0

Retrieving Flash info...

Initialization done, programming the memory
BOOT_MODE REG = 0x00000001
WARNING: [Xicom 50-100] The current boot mode is QSPI.
If flash programming fails, configure device for JTAG boot mode and try again.
Problem in running uboot
Flash programming initialization failed.

ERROR: Flash Operation Failed

I did try to program it with our TE0703-05 carrier board but unfortunately got same results, I also checked with the first TE0720 and all works with this one (TE0790-02 and TE0703-05) so the problem seems to be on this second TE0720 unit, which I would like to clarify that was initially working ok for a few times.

The board seems alive (at least in terms of power), the red LED (LED2) is flashing and obviously the green LED (LED3) is on all the time as the FPGA is not getting configured. 

Any idea what's wrong and if is possible to recover this board?

Many thanks.

JH

Hello,
did you use special FSBL? Xilinx has changed Flash Programming and micro Uboot with 2017.3 and newer:
You must select FSBL on Vivado/SDK(program_flash) now. If QSPI Boot Mode is set, the default FSBL goes into error state, if flash is empty. If flash is not empty default should also work.We provide a special FSBL with our 2017.4 design:Source code is as SDK template included. Changes will set JTAG Boot Mode for FSBL only.

br
John

joseer

Hi John,

Many thanks for the help, I already had a test board project for vivado 2017.3 so I only replaced the source files in the FSBL project for the ones in the "zynq_fsbl_flash" folder, now I could program the flash and everything works as before.

So just to clarify, the only difference between the default FSBL and this one (zynq_fsbl_flash) is that it changes to JTAG Boot Mode?

Thanks again.

JH

Hi,

open \sw_lib\sw_apps\zynq_fsbl_flash\src\main.c and search for "TE Mod"
i've deactivated DDR initialisation (int's not needed but so it's faster) and I changed Boot Mode fix to JTAG, instead read back from MIO Pins.

br
John