News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0715-3 with TE0703-3: how to boot from qspi?

Started by graunter, March 19, 2018, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graunter

Hi!

I've got a used TE0715 module with rev.3 and TE0703 for playing. My goal is understanding of FPGA design cycle in detail.

For this purposes a simple vivado project was created from Trenz board template (it consist zynq system only with ddr pins), exported it to SDK and petalinux build (with default settings). After petalinux-package command I have a working image (boot.bin and image.ub) and can run it from SD-card (S2-4 is ON).

Then I try to start it from qspi:
For this I opened exported SDK, tools->create boot image with the same files: FSBL.elf, zsys_wrapper.bit, u-boot.elf, image.ub (from petalinux prj). Then program flash success (from SDK also) and switched S2-4 to OFF. Unfortunately there are nothing in console after reset and I can't understand what's wrong!

My final goal is looking for an emergency way for system restore, with JTAG for example, and this experiment with standalone board is a good chance for this.

Could somebody clarify where is my mistake with QSPI image settings?

Did you ever reprogram qspi over jtag?
Could anybody help with this problem?

JH

Hi,
S2-4 to OFF is qspi boot. This is only primary boot. so you can also add Boot.bin without image.ub on qspi and image.ub on SD (uboot load image.ub from SD, if this is not change). Or all on SD and set to SD Boot...

Which template did you use?

We have an example design with prebuilt images and for newer one with Wiki description (download link on description):
Can you try out this please. At first without modification or prebuilt boot.bin to test HW. If this work, you can start to modify like you want.
br
John

graunter

Hi!

Thanks for this link - I did everything according to this instruction and qspi boot with new image is working!
Of course it would be interesting to do the same without helping scrips from TE:)

questions according to this procedure:

- how can I see a difference between Petalinux from this example and standard version from "petalinux-create" cmd? How to migrate from previous versions of PLin to new one: should I create new project, configure it manually over GUI and copy my application to new location?

- I saw "/dev/flash/boot" and "/dev/flash/kernel" in my old version of Petalinux. But there are nothing in this example. Did you remove it for any purposes? How to use "flashcp" command now?

- what's a reason for the following message:

CRITICAL WARNING: [Timing 38-282] The design failed to meet the timing requirements. Please see the timing summary report for details on the timing violations.

is it good start point for new design?

- a newbie question: does it possible copy image.ub to QSPI with the same way as "TE::pr_program_flash_binfile -swapp u-boot"? And what is command should be used for copy this image from SD-card to QSPI in u-boot command line?

Sergey

JH

Hi,

all difference which we has modified manually are describe in the wiki, alternative check the petalinux template, we have provided:
which design did you use? 17.4 example is PS only, there is not timing issue. You must check Timing Report to see which timing is failed and than you must decide if it's critical or not.
to put image.ub into Boot.bin is also possible, but you must have enough space on QSPI. And you must change some petalinux settings. See petalinux user guide.
To programm Flash without our scripts, see:br
John