News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Petalinux DIY howto ?

Started by svenssonjoel, March 05, 2018, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svenssonjoel

Hello all,

I want to get up to speed with how to use PetaLinux for creation of linuxes for the zynqberry.  But I am a bit lost currently.

My attempts so far create linuxes that seem to boot to some degree:

---------------------------- output on serial link ---------------------
hw-breakpoint: found 5 (+1 reserved) breakpoint and 1 watchpoint registers.
hw-breakpoint: maximum watchpoint size is 4 bytes.
zynq-ocm f800c000.ocmc: ZYNQ OCM pool: 256 KiB @ 0xc8840000
zynq-pinctrl 700.pinctrl: zynq pinctrl initialized
e0000000.serial: ttyPS1 at MMIO 0xe0000000 (irq = 27, base_baud = 6249999) is a xuartps
e0001000.serial: ttyPS0 at MMIO 0xe0001000 (irq = 28, base_baud = 6249999) is a xuartps
��k׋��+W/�*LW�Y�X��ed
console [ttyPS0] enabled
bootconsole [earlycon0] disabled
bootconsole [earlycon0] disabled
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I get nothing more. I understand from googling around that this may be the point where output is redirected to some other sink. That is, something else than the UART used so far in the process.
I dont want any graphical output over HDMI or anything like that on my linux, just UART interfacing.

So the steps I have gone through are:
1 design simple hardware in Vivado. Just a base system with TTC and a gpio block.
2. The petalinux for creating project and using the HDF file from the vivado project.
3. try to boot the thing with petalinux-boot --jtag --kernel

Step 3 above results in the output that I show above.

Does anyone here have this work flow down? and want to help me get up to a running linux using petalinux (Using the UART as the only interface)?
I dont want to use any premade petalinux project. What I want to do is learn how to make a linux in relation to my own hardware definition in vivado.

Thanks a lot and have great day!

JH

Hi,
we have complete reference design with linux. For newer designs also wiki description:
Design sources on dowload, including also petalinux template design, see reference design description.

For HDMI use our 17.1 Debian Demo design.

br
John

mikeshawski