News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0703+TE0720 standalone application issue

Started by joseer, November 29, 2017, 12:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joseer

Hello,

I'm just trying to port my current design form the xilinx dev. board ZC702 to TE0720 and when I'm launching the application from SDK instead to see booting my app with my usual debug messages through the serial port  I'm seeing PetaLinux booting...In terms of TE0703 switch config I've got the factory default setting.

What am I doing wrong? how could I just run my standalone application?

joseer

Hello,

A quick update, I've seen that there's not JTAG boot mode option for TE0720, is there any workaround to achieve this mode?

For another side following the fsbl+hello_world tutorial I'm not able to load my boot file on the QSPI flash I've got the next error:

Initialization done, programming the memory
BOOT_MODE REG = 0x00000001
WARNING: [Xicom 50-100] The current boot mode is QSPI.
If flash programming fails, configure device for JTAG boot mode and try again.
Problem in running uboot
Flash programming initialization failed.

ERROR: Flash Operation Failed

I'm using Vivado 2017.3. What's wrong?

Thanks.

JH

Hello,

change Boot Mode to SD (without SD insert) and try again. You must do this only if some design from Flash prevent JTAG/QSPI access (most cases linux). How old is your TE0720? We did not add a factory design since one year or so.
We currently do not provide anything for 2017.3. Only 2017.2. Did you use our board part files for correct PS Setting? Maybe you can use this board parts for 2017.3 but we did not test.

You use SDK for Programming, did you select correct flash typ?
br
John

joseer

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to select boot from SD and program but with same results:

BOOT_MODE REG = 0x00000005
WARNING: [Xicom 50-100] The current boot mode is SD.
Problem in running uboot
Flash programming initialization failed.

ERROR: Flash Operation Failed

We bought the boards around two weeks ago and yesterday we started first time to try to port and run our design but unfortunately without success because of that.
Yes I installed the board part files and I was able to select the correct board and generate bitstream and program the fpga without any problems but I'm not able to run any soft in PS as every time  boots from SD card or QSPI so for that I started trying to program the flash.

I'm using SDK for programming, I attached a screenshot of the programming options.
I selected qspi single, is it correct?

Would it worth it to go back to 2017.2?

Thanks.

JH

Settings seems to be ok.
Can you try our reference design from 2017.2 with 2017.2?
Create Project open SDK with this project and create Hello World, like described here:
One other thing: Can you tell me DIP setting on TE0703?
br
John

joseer

Hi,

The first option is a linux project using SD card, and we are trying to boot a standalone app booting from QSPI, the problem is that we can't access to the flash...

Regarding the second option is what I'm doing, I generated the vivado hardware project using the script provided, export hardware and open SDK, and then I'm following all the steps from here https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/SDK+Projects creating the fsbl and hello_world program but when I try to program QSPI and it fails.

The DIP settings are the factory default:
s1,s2,s3 on
s4 off

Could it be something related to the CPLD?
any more ideas what could it be?

Many thanks.

JH

Hi,

i know that you would try to program flash. But I can't see what you do.
So my first intention is to generate the 2017.2 Reference Design.  Import SDK and try out. I can do the same here, so we have nearly the same setup.
DIP settings are OK.
I've test TE0703 with TE0720-03-0CF prebuilt HDF:

• Used Reference Design from 20172.
  • Create all CMD files
  • Set correct assembly variant on "design_basic_settings.cmd"
  • Start SDK with "sdk_create_prebuilt_project_guimode.cmd"
  • Create FSBL, and Hello TE0720 (Hello world in endless loop)
  • Program Flash:

****** Xilinx Program Flash
****** Program Flash v2017.2.1 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 1957588 on Wed Aug  9 16:32:24 MDT 2017
    ** Copyright 1986-2017 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Connecting to hw_server @ TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

WARNING: Failed to connect to hw_server at TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
Attempting to launch hw_server at TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

Connected to hw_server @ TCP:127.0.0.1:3121
Available targets and devices:
Target 0 : jsn-JTAG-ONB4-25163300025CA
   Device 0: jsn-JTAG-ONB4-25163300025CA-4ba00477-0

Retrieving Flash info...

BOOT_MODE REG = 0x00000001
WARNING: [Xicom 50-100] The current boot mode is QSPI.
f probe 0 0 0

Performing Erase Operation...
Erase Operation successful.
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 5 sec.
Performing Blank Check Operation...
0%...50%...100%
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 6 sec.
Blank Check Operation successful. The part is blank.
Performing Program Operation...
0%...50%...100%
Program Operation successful.
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 4 sec.
Performing Verify Operation...
0%...50%...100%
INFO: [Xicom 50-44] Elapsed time = 5 sec.
Verify Operation successful.

Flash Operation Successful

You wrote "I'm seeing PetaLinux booting...In terms of TE0703 switch config I've got the factory default setting."  Means DIP was 1ON2ON3ON4OFF and no SD insert correct? And you start the first time?

Did you use Windows or Linux native or VM with OS?
br
John

joseer

Hi John,

Thanks for that, I followed your recommendations and steps and I generated the TE0720 test board project again from scratch (using the script) and the hello world project worked fine, I could program the flash and after reboot see the hello world in the terminal so in 2017.3 all works fine too.

I tried to apply the same workflow to our project and it gave the same error when it was downloading to flash, the only difference now was the hardware it self so I compared both (our design and the TE0720 example) in terms of setup and I copy all ZYNQ Processor options, but even with all this changes still doesn't work and I could not find differences...

Any idea where could be the difference?

Thanks again for your help.

JH

Hi,

maybe you project is corrupted. this can happens.
So use our reference for start or create new project with our board parts. Add all you modification to this project.
br
John

joseer

Hi John,

Following your recommendations I finally got it working, now I'm able to program the flash without problems.

Thanks again.

joseer

Hi,

I have another question regards the booting sequence, when the board starts (power up)  It doesn't start the application till I press the reset button, Is there any way to boot the software application automatically at power up without  pressing reset?

Thanks.

JH

Hi,

if you set Boot Mode to QSPI and configured Flash with Boot.bin, it should start on power up.

Do you have the same problem, if you put Boot.bin on SD and set Boot Mode to SD?

br
John

joseer

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer, I was loading a boot.mcs, now I tried boot.bin and seems to work fine from power up.

Regards.