News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Boot from FLASH + SD card with Zynqberry

Started by lsarti, November 15, 2017, 09:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lsarti

Hello,
I'm trying to build my own version of Petalinux to boot it on the ZynqBerry TE0726-03.
I've started from the Zynqberrydemo2 Reference design that uses 2017.1 version.
Using the BOOT.BIN, image.ub,  u-boot.rgba and Debian rootfs provided with the demo I'm able to boot on the board.

Now I'm trying to build my own version of the components by using Petalinux 2017.1, to boot with the same configuration.
The point is that I'm able to generate all the required images but the BOOT.BIN image loaded on FLASH doesn't work (u-boot doesn't start and nothing appears on the serial console).
I've used the .hdf file from the demo and I've tried to generate BOOT.BIN both directly with petalinux (petalinux-package --boot) and with the SDK (Create a boot image using fslb, .bit and u-boot.elf) but nothing has changed.
I wonder if I have to specify some particular configurations before building: with petalinux-config I've specified that the rootfs (and the kernel image) must be on SD card and I also tried to change the settings for the boot image, specifying the flash as image storage media, but still the BOOT.BIN doesn't work.

Could you please explain the configurations that you used to generate all the components that are in the Zynqberrydemo2 demo?
Do I need to modify manually some configuration files (please refer to a pure petalinux workflow, without any previous template)

JH

Hello,

did you bought TE0726-03-07S-1C  or TE0726-03M or TE0726-03R?
Did you select correct one on project generation--> design_basic_settings.cmd?

To petalinux: We will write a Wiki documentation, when we update to Vivado 2017.2, at the moment you must check petalinux template source for changes:
See (2017.1 download): zynqberrydemo2\os\petalinux\readme.txt
And https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/PetaLinux+KICKstart

br
John

lsarti

Hello John,
my board is the TE0726-03M.
I was finally able to boot using the fsbl found in the demo and all the other components generated by me.

I have tried both the 2016.2 and the 2017.1 demo versions (demo2 with Debian) and both of them worked.
The only difference I had is that with the 2016.2 Vivado project the Implementation (place and route) fail the timing, whereas the 2017.1 version not (I'm using your scripts for generating the vivado project).
Is it a known issue?

Could you please suggest me which is the best version to start with for hw/sw development, the 2016.2 or the 2017.1 ?
Are they equivalent ?

Thanks!
Luca

JH

Hello,

you must edit design_basic_settings.cmd with texteditor (notpad++ has style highlighting)  and change to partnumber to @set PARTNUMBER=te0726-03m. After that generate the project again (completely new).
If you did not change this, you has used default setting which select the last one in the csv list (in this case TE0726-03-07S-1C), and this does not work with your dual core version. Check Vivado Summery windows for selected version

See also:

Use always newest provided reference design. We update only newer version. We will also make a update to 2017.2 with wiki description. So we have a change log for this Version and newer one.
br
John

lsarti

Hello,
yes, I had already configured the PARTNUMBER correctly, for both the 2016.2 and 2017.1 syntheses, but still the 2016.2 one fails the timing.
Anyway, I'll use the 2017.1 as you suggest..

br
Luca

lsarti

I have to report another problem that I'm experiencing.
Using petalinux 2017.1 and starting from your project template I was able to boot linux with your Debian image as root
file system.

The problem is that I'm not able to use the HDMI and the GUI while using my BOOT.BIN image.
If I substitute the fsbl.elf file generated by petalinux (enabling the First Stage Bootloader option in the menuconfig) with the
fsbl file that can be found in your prebuilt software and I generate the BOOT.BIN from SDK using it, I am instead able to use the HDMI.
Clearly there is a problem in the autogenerated fsbl file: should the fsbl-related files be modified?

br
Luca

JH

Hi,

we provide a FSBL Template for SDK. You must use this.
See https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0726/Reference_Design/2017.1/zynqberrydemo2
Table "Additional sources:"
FSBL Template    <design_name>/sw_lib/    Modified FSBL Template for SDK/HSI
Load FSBL into SDK:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/SDK+Projects#SDKProjects-CreateSDKProjectfromVivado

br
John