News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

MAX1000 Driver and Setup Files

Started by JH, October 09, 2017, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JH

Basic Description:
Important Notes:

• Arrow_USB_Blaster_2.0 setup files are only for MAX1000 PCB Revision 02
  • Arrow_USB_Blaster_1.9 driver are only for MAX1000 PCB Revision 01
Download:
Problems with MAX1000 and Quartus Prime device detection, try following steps:

• Removed all other FTDI devices + drivers
  • Install Arrow USB Blaster 2.0
  • Plug in MAX1000
  • Open Quartus Prime Programmer
  • Arrow USB Blaster show up
Check FTDI setup of the device:

• Download "Microsoft USBView - USB Connection Viewer": http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG
  • Unzip and start usbview.exe
  • Connect the both MAX1000 separately and select USB Device on USB Viewer.
  • Select "[LOC xx] Devices Connected : USB-Composite Device" and check content to find correct device

giuliof

Hi,
I had some troubles with my MAX1000 programming interface, in particular the FT2232 had default configuration and Quartus couldn't communicate with.
I made a template useful for reprogramming it with FT_PROG, you can find it at https://box.glgprograms.it/max1000/arrow_blaster.xml.

For whom can't use FT_PROG I wrote some lines on my website.

rpflaum

I am having difficulty with the Altera Quartus Programmer recognizing the MAX1000 board under Windows 10. It works fine on a Windows 7 machine.
I have installed the Arrow USB Blaster driver package (V2.1) on two different Windows 10 machines and both act the same.
Device manager shows a COM port and two USB Serial ports (A & B) when I plug the board in. However I see "No Hardware Found" in the Quartus Programmer app. The troubleshooting notes mentioned to remove all FTDI devices(I have done so) & all FTDI drivers ( I am not absolutely sure how to do this exactly and could use some guidance). Is there anything else I can try?

steveg

I am having the same problem as rpflaum. I am running Windows 10 and Quartus Prime Lite 16.1. Everything looks alright in the Device manager. But Arrow USB blaster doesn't show up as an option when trying to use the Quartus programer. I have purchased 70 MAX1000 boards for a project so would like to resolve this problem!
Thanks

steveg

on page 70 of the user manual for MAX1000 - says " in some rare cases using Windows 10 the programmer DLL is not loaded causing Quartus not to detect the Arrow USB blaster"

I opened the windows services program (services.msc) but I can can not even see an entry for  "Altera USB Blaster".

How can I start the service?

Thanks

darlyb

After trying various drivers 2.1, 2.2 etc nothing seemed to work until the following was done....then bang appeared in quartus and programmed without issues - thanks :)

Forgot to say I am using lite 18.1 so maybe earlier versions are different solutions  ;)

Quote from: giuliof on December 08, 2017, 03:29:09 PM
Hi,
I had some troubles with my MAX1000 programming interface, in particular the FT2232 had default configuration and Quartus couldn't communicate with.
I made a template useful for reprogramming it with FT_PROG, you can find it at https://box.glgprograms.it/max1000/arrow_blaster.xml.

For whom can't use FT_PROG I wrote some lines on my website.

JH

bsacpld

My board also is not detected.
Arrow_USB_Programmer2_diagnostic print error:
"Checking Altera JTAG server service.
- Error. The service is not installed."
But original USB-Blaster works correctly.
Quartus 18.0
Windows 7 x64

mrisco

Result with the Arrow USB Programmer2 Diagnostic Program, the MAX1000 is connected, and the COM devices installed and visible on the device manager as two "USB Serial Port (COMn)", also as "USB Serial Converter A and B". Operating system: Windows 10 v1809.

Arrow USB Programmer2 Diagnostic Program V1.1

Reading version info.
- Operating system version number is 10.0.17763.
- Quartus version is 18.1.1.646.

Searching programmer hardware.
- Error. No programmer hardware found.

Reading registry entries for programmer DLL.
- Successful. TCK frequency is 20.000.000 Hz.

Searching programmer DLL.
- Successful. Programmer DLL installed properly.

Checking Altera JTAG server service.
- Service has been stopped successfully.
- Service has been started successfully.

Reading registry entries for FTDI driver configuration settings.
- Successful. FTDI driver configuration settings are OK.

Total errors: 1
Hit any key to exit program.

JH

Hi,
"
"

Can you download  MS USB Viewer
And tell me what you see with this tool when you connect the MAX1000

br
John

mrisco

SOLVED: https://www.glgprograms.it/?p=elet/max1000

Quote from: mrisco on July 26, 2019, 04:59:08 AM
Result with the Arrow USB Programmer2 Diagnostic Program, the MAX1000 is connected, and the COM devices installed and visible on the device manager as two "USB Serial Port (COMn)", also as "USB Serial Converter A and B". Operating system: Windows 10 v1809.

Arrow USB Programmer2 Diagnostic Program V1.1

Reading version info.
- Operating system version number is 10.0.17763.
- Quartus version is 18.1.1.646.

Reading registry entries for programmer DLL.
- Successful. TCK frequency is 20.000.000 Hz.

Searching programmer DLL.
- Successful. Programmer DLL installed properly.

Checking Altera JTAG server service.
- Service has been stopped successfully.
- Service has been started successfully.

Reading registry entries for FTDI driver configuration settings.
- Successful. FTDI driver configuration settings are OK.

Total errors: 1
Hit any key to exit program.

JH

Hi,
after you powered on the board the first time. Was there a design on the module? Some blinking LEDs...?
br
John

mrisco

Quote from: JH on August 05, 2019, 02:05:42 PM
Hi,
after you powered on the board the first time. Was there a design on the module? Some blinking LEDs...?
br
John

Yes, the default program was on the board.

JH

Hm,
that's strange. Our production  can only write example design to the flash, when the FTDI is programmed with this definition.
At the moment I don't know how this can happens that you got one with design but without FTDI eeprom setup.
Did you tested MS USB Viewer before you tried FTDI eeprom recovery from your link? Was it empty?

I think for you it's solved now, but for me it's interesting to find out why, so that doesn't happen again.

br
John

mrisco

The FTDI EEPROM was empty

Chip Type FT2232H
Vendor ID: 0x403
Product ID: 0x6010
Manufacturer Desc: FTDI
Location ID: 0x161
EEPROM Type: 93C66 EEPPROM
BLANK DEVICE

mrisco

After reprogramming:

Chip Type FT2232H
Vendor ID: 0x0403
Product ID: 0x6010
Product Desc: Arrow USB Blaster
Manufacturer Desc: Arrow
Location ID: 0x1521
EEPROM Type: 93C66 EEPPROM

JH

Thanks again for feedback,
we have for time to time such a case. But until now, I don't know how this can happens, because eeprom must be normally programmed to write the demo design into the MAX1000.
br
John

DaG

Hi,

I have a pretty strange problem. If I plug the MAX1000 in it is recognized as a "Embedded FlashPro5". It seems that the FTDI Chip has the wrong VID (0x1514) and PID (0x2008).

Had anyone a similar problem?

I use Windows 10 and the MAX1000 in Rev 3.

JH

Hi
can you send me the serial number of your MAX1000 please (it's on the white sticker with QR code).
Please send the number to support@trenz-electronic.de

br
John

prof_braino

Quote from: mrisco on August 05, 2019, 05:15:15 PM
Yes, the default program was on the board.

Hello.  I am experiencing the same situation as mrisco.  The board contains the demo and the LEDs flash.
Windows 10 "Bluetooth and other devices" finds 'Arrow USB Blaster' under Other Devices
Windows 10 device manager displays USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B, but not Arrow USB Blaster.

Programmer-Hardware Setup finds "No Hardware"

After run the diagnostic, which exits successfully in Administrator mode,
Programmer-Hardware Setup finds "Arrow-USB-Blaster [USB0]"
BUT Windows 10 device manager displays USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B, but not Arrow USB Blaster.

JH

Hello,
After run the diagnostic, which exits successfully in Administrator mode,
Programmer-Hardware Setup finds "Arrow-USB-Blaster [USB0]"
So arrow diagnose program identifies FTDI correctly as "Arrow USB blaster"?
After diagnose tool was started as admin, Quartus still did not fined the programmer?
Can you send me the whole log of the diagnose program.
br
John

8x8

Quote from: mrisco on July 27, 2019, 07:47:58 AM
SOLVED: https://www.glgprograms.it/?p=elet/max1000

I had the same symptoms as mrisco on Linux, Win7 and Win10 except the EEPROM on my board was not blank.  Reprogramming per the link with FT_PROG resolved my detection issue.  Given the number of cases it appears that many of the MAX1000 boards have EEPROM that are either blank or mis-programmed.  This issue should be highlighted under driver debug and in fact a warning might be more appropriate given that most users will assume the board is functional if the demo is active.

JH

Hi,

what was the content of your EEPROM before you has recovered it from your link instructions? it was the content which was shipped or did you modify before with FTDI tools?

Drivers and also the XML descriptions are from Arrow. We have no permission to share these xml description on our webpages, like you has found on the other url.

The only notes we can give are here:

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Arrow+USB+Programmer

Arrow provide also an diagnose tool which helps to identify the problem:

https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Software/Drivers/Arrow_USB_Programmer

It can have different reasons, that quartus can't find HW, like prof_braino has written.  Arrow Diagnose Tool restarts JTAG Server services from quartus and also checks ftdi eeprom content, arrow driver version ...
So if I've see the results of the diagnose tools, I can better decided what's the problem and help.

In case you or someone else has a problem with one of our modules, you can write to these forum or directly support@trenz-electronic.de and we try to help.

br
John

8x8

Several bytes after the USB id in my EEPROM differed from those shown in the 'after' image from mrisco.  Unfortunately, I did not save the original contents of the EEPROM.

8x8

Quote from: JH on October 14, 2019, 01:41:32 PM
Arrow provide also an diagnose tool which helps to identify the problem:

https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Software/Drivers/Arrow_USB_Programmer

I tried that, got the same error as mrisco.  The search for programmer hardware is the only test that failed (Error. No programmer hardware found.).

JH

Hi,
i'm a little bit confused now.

So Arrow diagnose tool didn't find the programmer after you has changed EEPROM like on your link or before?
If it didn't find it now, can you send me the whole log and did you run it as Admin(is needed to reset JTAG Server Service)?

And "Several bytes after the USB id" after USB ID can also happens when the person from your link has changed some other port parameters.
Did the FTDI tools told you the EEPROM was empty? Or did it found some configuration and in this case did you remember what you read as product description (something with Arrow in the name?) ?

br
John

8x8

Quote from: JH on October 15, 2019, 08:58:23 AM
Hi,
i'm a little bit confused now.

So Arrow diagnose tool didn't find the programmer after you has changed EEPROM like on your link or before?
If it didn't find it now, can you send me the whole log and did you run it as Admin(is needed to reset JTAG Server Service)?

My device is now detectable and I have been able to program it via Quartus on Linux.   My earlier comments were in response to your questions regarding the device in its original state. 

Quote from: JH on October 15, 2019, 08:58:23 AM
And "Several bytes after the USB id" after USB ID can also happens when the person from your link has changed some other port parameters.
Did the FTDI tools told you the EEPROM was empty? Or did it found some configuration and in this case did you remember what you read as product description (something with Arrow in the name?) ?

Yes, I realized that.  The FT_PROG tool did not indicate the EEPROM was blank.

JH

Hi,
thanks for clarify.

Without the old content i can't check if this wrong content was caused by our production or not. Maybe you can send me one time the serial number (number on the white sticker with QR Code), so I can check another module from the same production batch, in case we have it still on stock.

br
John

8x8

Quote from: JH on October 15, 2019, 01:44:27 PM
Maybe you can send me one time the serial number (number on the white sticker with QR Code), so I can check another module from the same production batch, in case we have it still on stock.

My S/N is A01756.