News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Petalinux installation

Started by bentho, September 21, 2017, 04:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentho

Dear all of you,

I've installed Petalinux 2017.1 on an Ubuntu 16.4 machine and are facing problems that I struggled a lot with.
Here is the story,

1: I created one simple HW system using Vivado (on Windows) and it worked running a "Hello World" on bare metal using a ZynqBerry board.
2: I exported system.hdf to SDK and also moved this file to the Ubuntu machine.
3: I created a new Petalinux project, imported the HW file, system.hdf into Petalinux project
4: I executed petalinux-build and got the following error,

| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/bentho/petaProj/myFirstBerry/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-xlnx/v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.1+gitAUTOINC+92e3dd638b-r0/temp/log.do_compile.25601)
ERROR: Task (/home/bentho/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.01.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

It seems to me that something is missing in my Petalinux installation or that I am using some erroneous settings for boot loading?

Maybe you can give me a hint on how to solve my problems?

BR
Benny

JH

Hi,

did you changed owner of the petalinux installation path, before you installed petalinux:

Did your system  achieve installation requirements? Page 8

Did you installed all necessary packages: Page 9

Can you check the error log file:
Quote/home/bentho/petaProj/myFirstBerry/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-xlnx/v2017.01-xilinx-v2017.1+gitAUTOINC+92e3dd638b-r0/temp/log.do_compile.25601

br
John

bentho

Thank you John for answering my desperate call for help :)

I changed strategy and started with the supplied petalinux projects for demo 1 and 3.
Now I can build a new OS image using hardware description files for those demos.
I was also able to generate a boot file BOOT.BIN by petalinux-package command and the hardware starts up nicely with the Trenz demo1 for ZynqBerry.

- Is it the first stage boot loader (FSBL) supplied by Trenz that includes the screen image during boot sequence?
   This image disappears if I use an FSBL generated within Vivado environment using Xilinx template.
   (I can still log in and access OS)

- What I also experienced is that the RPI camera does not start if I use another FSBL then the one supplied by Trenz.
   Is it possible that an additional initialization of the camera has been included into the Trenz FSBL?
   I saw that rpicam is an application run from init.sh. I think that one is programming the sensor registers over I2C.
- Is there source code available for rpicam? I don't know if petalinux tools is fetching that application over github or how it ends up under /bin?
  rpicam must be something coming from the Raspberry Pi community?

Anyway I am smiling now because I'm starting to understand something about this tool.
/Benny

JH

Hi,

FSBL initialize the DMA controller. See FSBL code. You can also create a Linux app, which do this. Or you write your own driver.

init.sh start I2C camera configuration (rpicam app on the petalinux template) and get Camera ID. It's also configures and starts vidio steam on PL.

br
John