News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Power outage when plugging in an SFP cable to TEBA0841

Started by xetnik, August 22, 2017, 04:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xetnik

Hi all,

I am using TE0741-160-2CF together with the TEBA0841. I set EN_GTPWR high on H22, connect the TX and RX pins to the Aurora 64B/66B standard design in Vivado and use the standard MGTCLK1 and SYSCLK as clock sources. After loading the bitstream and the SFP cable still _un_plugged the system runs fine. When I plug in the SFP cable there is directly a complete power outage/short circuit happening somewhere. The power LEDs on the USB Adapter TE0790-02 go out and connection is lost to the board. FPGA temperature is normal around 40C.

I am not familiar with this, is it in general forbidden to plug in an SFP connector while the system is under power (I guess not)?

Any hints on how to debug this issue?

BR

JH

Hi,

normally it should work. Maybe your SFP transceiver module has a problem. Do you have a second one to test?
It can be also be a power supply problem. Is there some current limit set on your external power supply? Current increase, if MGT data transfer starts.

Br
John

xetnik

Dear John,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately right now I don't have another one to test. I am currently only using the power supply over the USB Adapter TE0790-02 connected to my laptop. I guess this isn't sufficient then to power both the FPGA and SFP adapter board? Where do I need to apply another external power source?

BR

JH

xetnik

Hi John,

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this out.

BR