News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

QSPI and SD-card boot Arduzynq

Started by z1990, July 06, 2017, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z1990

Hallo all,
the module TE0723-03m has 16 MByte SPI Flash memory, and it could uses the SD-Card as a secondary boot device as described good by Trenz(linux example with the ref Project).

I was easily able to create and flash a small .BIN file (about 5MB) on SPI Flash memory which includes a bitstream and a small program on the device.

my Question is: when my PL configure file (.bit) and the programm(.elf) file combined are more than 16MByte, and I am NOT running an OS, just a baremetal programm. How can I split or configure the Boot process to boot from the Flash memory(FSBL) and then read the BIT stream and the Programm from the SD-Card ?

Is it possible to do this or I didn't understand well the process ?.. could you please in short words describe the needed steps to do this (without OS).

Thanks in Advance and MfG ;)

Antti Lukats

1) the bit + ELF can not really be larger than 16Mbyte as there is no onboard RAM large enough to hold the large ELF file.

loading ELF/HEX program code and/or PL configuration from SD card is possible, but this should be handled from your bare metal code. We have done both during some evaluation and testing.

sonycman

Why we just can't define MMC_SUPPORT in FSBL, it then should search the SD CARD for boot.bin and load the fabric and application from it?
Does it not?

JH

Hi,
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug585-Zynq-7000-TRM.pdf
TE0723 has CLG225 package, see page 51, page 188, ...
The SD card boot mode is not supported in 7z010 dual core and 7z007s single core CLG225
devices.

br
John

sonycman

Hi.

No, I mean FSBL should be loaded from QSPI, as normal, and then (with MMC_SUPPORT flag set) it will not continue loading from QSPI, but search for BOOT.bin file on SD card instead.

JH

It isn't a emmc, it's SD.

You can try out:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66846.html

I tried out on TE0726 and it works there.

But pay attention, PS configuration is from your FSBL, which was saved on QSPI, so if you change PS-IP settings, reprogramm qspi with new FSBL.

br
John

sonycman

It seems that SD and eMMC is just the same, from the SD controller point of view.

Didn't you tried the MMC_SUPPORT flag yet?
My board is not arrived yet, but i'll definitely will try it first.

Thanks for the link, seen it earlier, it should be my second option if first didn't worked out.

JH

It seems that SD and eMMC is just the same, from the SD controller point of view.
Interface is the same but not the communication otherwise Zynq should be also possible to boot primary from eMMC, like from SD (in this case I mean SD boot option which is possible on Zynq with other packages).
br
John