News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0728 enabling peripherals and booting linux

Started by aashwin, July 05, 2017, 08:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aashwin

Hi,

I have the TE0728  + carrier + xmod jtag module.

I am trying to get the simple prebuilt hello world boot image provided in the board reference design package. I've prepared the sd card using the guide from Xilinx, but when I try to boot, I get no response from the serial console. The green LED stays on solid, the red LED blinks.

A hello world application works fine when I made a SDK project from the prebuild .hdf file and I run the program through sdk, just not sd card.

I plan to eventually run petalinux from sd card.

Any advice?

Thanks.

JH

Hi,

did you put a jumper on J4 (Label BMODE on TEB0728)? This is needed to set Boot Mode to SDCard, otherwise it's QSPI.

br
John

aashwin

Yes, I've tried without the jumper and with the jumper across both pins. Same results except that the red led is off.

Switches 1 and 4 are ON on the jtag module, if that makes a difference.

JH

Hi,

XMOD ON,OFF,OFF,ON is correct.
1: ON -> JTAG access to FPGA
2: must be OFF!
3: OFF -> VIO(JTAG REF) from Module/Carrier
4: ON -> 3.3V XMOD supply from USB
see:
Did you use prebuilt HDF from:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0728/Reference_Design/2016.2/test_board
?

I see SD-Card is not activated on PS. Board part was created for general usage with user defined boards. So you must generate the Vivado reference project and add SD-Card interface to MIO Settings. Export HDF from this design and regenerate FSBL, your App and Boot.bin.
We are creating Vivado 2017.1 reference designs at the moment, i will add a board part file for TEB0728 usage and Linux example. I can give a little bit priority to this module, I think this should be available in appr. 2 weeks, maybe earlier.

br
John

aashwin

Quote from: JH on July 05, 2017, 10:03:03 AM
Hi,

Did you use prebuilt HDF from:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0728/Reference_Design/2016.2/test_board
?

Yes, I used the prebuilt hdf from that link.

Quote from: JH on July 05, 2017, 10:03:03 AM
I see SD-Card is not activated on PS. Board part was created for general usage with user defined boards. So you must generate the Vivado reference project and add SD-Card interface to MIO Settings. Export HDF from this design and regenerate FSBL, your App and Boot.bin.
We are creating Vivado 2017.1 reference designs at the moment, i will add a board part file for TEB0728 usage and Linux example. I can give a little bit priority to this module, I think this should be available in appr. 2 weeks, maybe earlier.

br
John

That would be very kind, thank you.

aashwin

EDIT: Working now, turns out I was assigning 3.3v to mio pins instead of 1.8V
Hi,

Is there an update to this matter?

I've done:
1. prepared boot medium
2. enable sd0 in ps (mio 40-45 + card detect (47) + write protect (46) )
3. exported hw, made program in sdk (hello world + led)
4. made fsbl
5. made boot.bin
6. put jumper on j4
7. insert sd and power on

No output on console and led doesn't turn on. As mentioned before jtag programming works fine.

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards.

aashwin

I've had the chance to work on this again. I have a somewhat functional petalinux running on sd. Could you please steps on enabling Ethernet on the device. I couldn't make too much sense from the information provided on the TRM.

Thanks.

JH

Hi,

this depends on Xilinx SW and drivers. So it's not included to TRM.

which Vivado/Petalinux version did you use at the moment?

Add following to the device tree:
/* ETH PHY */
&gem0 {
    phy-handle = <&phy0>;
    mdio {
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <0>;
        phy0: phy@0 {

device_type = "ethernet-phy";
            reg = <0>;
        };
    };
};

br
John

aashwin

The latest available for the board which is 2016.2

aashwin

Would there need to be any EMIO configuration in vivado for Ethernet? Or simply just adding the entry in device tree? Are there additional settings to configure in Petalinux to use the updated device tree, or will it automatically use in when 'petalinux-build?

JH

Hi,

on TE0728, both ETH Phys are connected to PL. Also ETH reset and power down.
Map PS ETH Controller to EMIO and add MII to RGMII IP. Also add reset power down.

Use AXI ETH Lite IP instead of PS ETH Controller is also possible.

See schematic, page 5, 13,14:

P.S. Sometimes it's got to run a "petalinux-build  -x mrproper" before you rerun the petalinux built process.

br
John

aashwin

So I've used axi ethernet lite to connect to PHY. Block diagram is here. The IO pins are mapped as per the schematic. However, when I build and boot petalinux, ifconfig shows no eth0 interface.  I put in the device tree snippet posted earlier, I've also tried with axi_ethernetlite_0 instead of gem0, achieving the same result.

dmesg shows

root@sd_can_eth:~# dmesg | grep eth
Machine model: sd_can_eth
xilinx_emaclite 40e00000.ethernet: Device Tree Probing
xilinx_emaclite 40e00000.ethernet: no IRQ found
Full log has also been attached.

What should I be trying next?

Thanks,

JH

Hi,

Quotexilinx_emaclite 40e00000.ethernet: no IRQ found
Interrupt is is not connected. Connect  this to PS and try again.

I will try to generate a new Design during the next week.

br
John

aashwin

No luck. Connected the interrupt but during the boot process it now hangs at 'Configuring network interfaces'. See below.

random: dd urandom read with 5 bits of entropy available
hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
Configuring network interfaces...

JH

Hi,
i should get a TE0728  with carrier this week. I will generate a design and let you know whats happens.
br
John

aashwin

Was there an update to this matter? Just wondering so I can schedule this project accordingly.

Regards,

JH

Hi,

can you send a email to: support@trenz-electronic.de
I can send you a pre-version for Vivado 2017.2 with one working ETH.
Can you also tell me your TE0728 Revision number.

br
John

aashwin

Hi John

Thanks for the response. I've sent an email. The TE0728 is Rev 3 judging from the "TE0728-03" label on the board.

Regards.