News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Loss of SD Card access on new TE0703 after running TE0720 Petal Linux with 3.3V

Started by timholt, October 11, 2017, 08:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timholt

Hi Folks.  I got 6 TE703-05 boards in and have apparently broken the SD card access on two of them.   IAt first the 4GB Sandisk micro SD read/wrote fine with the debugger running on one board but I suspect that after that the Petal Linux image factory installed ran after I set for 3.3V to the FPGA banks (likely 3.3V rather than 1.8 V it issue but we supply that in our actual production boards using TE0720  and I had no trouble with that at all)  the SD card stopped read/writing.  This happened on a second board.  I have done two things on the third board which is OK.  1) I did not set the FPGA power to 3.3V and 2 I did not allow the Petal Linux image in the TE0720  to run on the TE0703 board.   I hope this prevents this happening to others.  Since only the TE0703 board is damaged (Ohm and voltage reading seem fine on bot and no sigh of overheating) I suspect that the FPGA image in the TE0720 was not expecting a 3.3V supply and overheated something on the TE0703.   Thanks

Antti Lukats

First running any software linux or anything else can not damage the SoM or baseboard, so it can also not damage the SD card access in any way. There are no non-volatile settings that could be altered and that could prevent somehow access to SD card.

As of you comment about 3.3V, this we do not understand what you connect where, if you made some connections on power that damage the SoM or TE0703 then yes, if something is damaged any kind of malfunctions can happen.

timholt

Hello Thank you for your reply.   It is good to know that the Petal Linux image and FPGA setup could not of caused damage.  I am not complaining but only hoping that whatever information I can give will help if some other user encounters such a failure of SD card access.  I have put together about 10 other TE0720/TE0703 for the team here with no similar problem.  On one of the boards I put on two FTDI TTL serial with voltage sense on 3.3v and also an I2C based RTC with a 5V off the board.  I did not get that far on the second board because the SD card was not working.  So I agree we do not know the cause of failure here.    One board did work at first and my inspection ruled out the spring contact.     I have 4 more TE703 boards and will just be careful.   Thanks so much for your comment.  Our 6 prop electric plane is now flying at 200kmh and VTOL . 

timholt

Thanks for your help.  I think I have found our problem with the SD card and the TE0703.  Our own boards have a 4k pullup on the card detect.   The TE0703 looks to do this in the CPLD and likely requires a pullup in the FPGA build on the TE0720.  Our latest FPGA build is likely not doing the right thing and now the TE0720 is sometimgs showing card in place and somtimes not.  We need to recheck our FPGA build and the SD_CD   signal.  Thanks again for your help and patience.  Tim

JH

Hi,

SD_CD is not connected to B2B and  the FPGA module.
It's possible to do this over MIO9 and routed during TE0703 CPLD. But this is not implemented at the current TE0703 CPLD Firmware. We will add this option on next Firmware update.

Did you use our Reference Design for Test?

br
John