News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

DIPFORTy1 questions

Started by dbutter, June 19, 2017, 07:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbutter

Hello!

I purchased a TE0722 (DIPFORTy1) for use as the embedded processor in a radio modem product. I have a couple questions:

1. I have found FSBL example (for DDR-less design) and have this running on the board. However, I cannot find any example of how to use this DDR-less FSBL to load application program for handoff after boot. For example, how to load user application from uSD card after FSBL runs?

2. I notice the Zynq gets hot after a few minutes and so far I'm not even doing any real processing. If the uSD is installed there will be no way to heatsink the part. Do you know if the part will get so hot as to be damaged in this case? Do you have any customers running DIPFORTy1 without heatsinks and no issues?

Thanks for an awesome product!
--
Regards, Devin

JH

Hello,
1: there is no example online, to load application from SD. This is planned but i can't say a timeline at the moment.
You has four options to start your own application.

• Write your code into the modified FSBL, so this will automatically load to OCM (easiest way, but limited memory space), see FSBL template from our reference design
  • Modify Linker Scripts load your Application to OCM. Put your App to Boot.bin and load into OCM  (limited memory space)
  • Generate Block RAM as memory for your applications. Put your App to Boot.bin and load into Block RAM
  • Generate Block RAM as memory for your applications. Create baremetal application for SD-Card access which load your App into Block RAM, see for example https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Zynq-All-Programmable-SoC/SD-Card-example-design-using-standalone-SDK-project/td-p/584170
2: Can you measure the temperature? You can use XADC on Xilinx Vivado HW-Manager.

br
John

dbutter

Hello,

Sorry for the slow reply, I was pulled off this project for a while...back to it again.

>> 2: Can you measure the temperature? You can use XADC on Xilinx Vivado HW-Manager.

Yes when I look at the XADC temp sensor it shows that a running DIPFORTy commercial temp is running at ~80C !!

I see this on two boards I received from Digikey. Both are handled at an ESD safe workstation.

So what does this mean? What temperatures do you see when you check XADC in HW manager?

Other than temp issues, the board seem to be fully functional. Thanks.
--
Regards, Devin

JH

Hello,

80C is very hot.  Temperature depends on design and environment, 60 or 70°C or little bit more should be ok for moderate design. Module is very small so it's hard to spread the head.

Did you use default design or your own? Did you put it on another board or standalone usage? So you can dissipate the head a little bit.

br
John

dbutter

Hello,

I initially tested by just placing the module on a breadboard and applying power, and I observed that it got hot. This used whatever was in the flash when shipped, which may be nothing. I then loaded the reference design, and again it gets hot.

Currently I have the module plugged into my custom carrier board and I have placed a small heatsink on the zynq. This keeps the temp to around 65-70C.

I would like to know if this is expected for the DIPFORTy or if I may have a bad set of modules?

Do you have a DIPFORTy module (with the Z7010 part) you can check and confirm whether or not you see similar temperatures?

Thanks for your help!
--
Regards, Devin

JH

Hello,

i've test it with setup, shown on (Used XMOD only): https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20612010

With shipped design, it starts with 53C and goes up to appr. 72C after a while.
It's nearly the same with prebuilts from : https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0722/Reference_Design/2017.1/test_board

Assembled devices was a -2I.

br
John