News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0720, reference designs, GPIO and RTC

Started by dave-acfr, April 06, 2017, 06:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave-acfr

We have a TE0720 / TE0701 combo. If I boot from the in-built flash (no sd card), it seems to work fine. In particular, the i2c devices and RTC clock driver seems to work:
pcf857x 1-0020: probed
pcf857x 1-0021: probed
rtc-isl12022 1-006f: rtc core: registered rtc-isl12022 as rtc0

but if I boot with an SD card loaded with BOOT.bin and image.ub from the prebuilt TE0720 / TE0701 reference design then instead I see:
pcf857x: probe of 1-0020 failed with error -11
pcf857x: probe of 1-0021 failed with error -11
rtc-isl12022 1-006f: isl12022_read_regs: read error, ret=-11
rtc-isl12022 1-006f: rtc core: registered rtc-isl12022 as rtc0

I don't know if it's related but the GPIO device-tree configuration also appears to be different. From the inbuilt flash:
GPIO IRQ not connected
XGpio: /amba_pl/gpio@41200000: registered, base is 878
GPIO IRQ not connected
XGpio: /amba_pl/gpio@41200000: dual channel registered, base is 856
GPIO IRQ not connected
XGpio: /amba_pl/gpio@41210000: registered, base is 834
GPIO IRQ not connected
XGpio: /amba_pl/gpio@41210000: dual channel registered, base is 812

and from the reference design:
GPIO IRQ not connected
XGpio: /amba_pl/gpio@41200000: registered, base is 904

Since we are using the reference design as the starting point for our own designs it's a problem that it doesn't work. Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

The reference design we are using is from here: https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0720/Reference_Design/2016.2/carrier_te0701_sc

JH

Hi,

i will check design in the next day's, when  i'm get a TE0720 on my place. Can you say me which assembly option of the TE0720 you has ordered?
You say, you boot from flash without error. From where get you this boot.bin?

Can you try the prebuilts from following reference design:

br
John

dave-acfr

Hi John,

That seems to work which is a great step forward.

Why is it that the test_board reference design works, but the te0720_sdsoc and the carrier_te0701_sc designs don't?

Dave.

JH

Hi,

I must check what's happens with this project.

Normally PS is configured nearly identical on all three projects and RTC and I2C should work. And carrier_te0701_sc and testboard used same petalinux template. carrier_te0701_sc includes also a IP to get access to some carrier cpld IOs. But it's only for a special firmware, which will not longer supported.
SDSoC is a special Project to generate Xilinx SDSoC Platforms. See:
PetaLinux has different configuration on this project.

When I check it, i will also generate a 2016.4 Version of the test_board design.

br
John

JH

Hi,
i've found out, why it's not work on these designs. They did not include SC0720 System Controller with I2C1 connection. This I2C interface is used for RTC.
See:
For SDSoC it was not needed and for carrier_te0701_sc the I2C controller was used for other I2C interface and the Device Tree was not changed,
I will add a note on the design download page.
br
John

dave-acfr

Great. Thanks for investigating that John, it's been puzzling us for a while.

dave-acfr

One more question John: to progress our own design, can we load the test_board reference design in to Vivado? I couldn't see any Vivado project.

Thanks, Dave.

JH

Hi,

this will be generate, if you start our scripts with cmd files:
Quick Start is for 2016.4, on 2016.2 _create_win_setup.cmd do not exist, but the next instructions are the same:

• open "design_basic_settings.cmd" with text editor and set correct vivado path and board part number
  • run "vivado_create_project_guimode.cmd"

In your case, you can select board part number:
@set PARTNUMBER=1
or
@set PARTNUMBER=te0720_2if

what you preferred. :-)

If you use linux, follow instructions from Option 2 of:

br
John