News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0726 - Zynqberry - Current Status

Started by sjoshi, March 20, 2017, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjoshi

Hello,

I am inclined to choose the Zynqberry for a project after some initial experiments last year and was curious about the status of the software available. I had the following couple of questions which I hope someone could answer.

1) Is there a design out there which uses both the cores available on the Zynq?
2) Is it possible to change the HDMI mode on the fly? By this I mean without having to generate a new bitstream if I wish to test a new HDMI mode.

Many thanks!

Shailesh

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello Shailesh,

1) Linux uses both cores, you can also use both cores in your baremetal apps.
2) Yes it's possible. All cores for video mode definition (Clocking Wizard, VDMA, Video Timing Controller) is configurable by AXI

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

sjoshi

Hello Oleksandr,

Many thanks for your reply.

Does this mean that the BOOT.bin provided along with the Debian 8.4 example will enable me to use both cores on the Zynq and change video modes by software?

Regards,
Shailesh

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello Shailesh,

Linux kernel should have SMP support (most distributions have it by default) think that Debian have it. Unfortunatelly to change video mode you need to write your own custom software
to reconfigure video cores.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

sjoshi

Hello Oleksandr,

this new Software will be at what level though? Do I have to make modifications to the vhdl source and generate a new BOOT.bin?

Regards,
Shailesh

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello Shailesh,

No, you don't need to made any changes in VHDL. Such software should be able to
map registers memory from video cores and apply new set of values for corresponding mode.
The best solution will be custom linux video driver, but it require much more time.

Regards,
Oleksandr