News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0715 board no longer recognizing QSPI flash.

Started by Steven Renich, February 20, 2017, 07:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Renich

TE0715 board no longer recognizing QSPI flash.

I have a TE0715 with a bad QSPI flash. It is possible that the flash was damaged or that Jedec ID and other device parameters may have been erased.

I have one TE0715 on a TE0701 base board, and one on a custom base board. I have both up and running linux. I have three partitions on the QSPI. These show up in linux as /dev/mtd0, etc. I can copy images over to the board (via ssh) and program the QSPI with commands like:
flashcp -v spi_bootloader.bin /dev/mtd0
In addition, on the 715/701 system, I can program the QSPI using U-Boot off the SD card.

The module on the custom board was originally programmed on the 701 and moved over.

In the past I have sucessfully programmed the QSPI using Vivado 2015.2/device manager with the module on the 701 base board.  I recently tried to program the 715 on the custom board using JTAG. It has a dedicated JTAG connector and no FTDI chip. I tried device manager form several versions of Vivado and Impact 14.7. I had no success. Now the flash is damaged and not recognized.

I have moved the bad module back over to the 701 and neither U-Boot nor linux see the QSPI.
The error message from U-Boot:

SF: Detected  with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 0 Bytes, total 0 Bytes

The error from Linux:

m25p80 spi32766.0: unrecognized JEDEC id bytes: 00,  0,  0

I am attaching a copy of the device tree and a capture of the boot text from the board showing the above messages.

Any ideas on what could have caused this would be helpful. If the problem is indeed that the Jedec parameters got erased, can they be reprogrammed?

Thanks,

Steven

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

I don't think that JDEC paramethers can be erased somehow. Looks like Flash chip was damaged.
If Vivado/SDK don't see and can't write it anymore, you can send board back for inspection.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

Antti Lukats

1) please never use ISE/Impact for any 7 series or newer Xilinx products.
2) can you still access the SPI flash from Vivado programmer or SDK?

JEDEC ID Can not be erased, but there are some NV bits that could be wrong and prevent booting, but this is hardly the case.

Steven Renich

Antti,

1) please never use ISE/Impact for any 7 series or newer Xilinx products.
    Thank you for the tip, I was not aware.

2) can you still access the SPI flash from Vivado programmer or SDK?
    I can not. In fact, I cannot access the SPI using any method.

The damaged module works well except for the SPI. We need a module on the 701 pretty much permanently, so we decided we are just going to use it there.

Thank you for the help, but I don't think we want to spend any more effort on this now. If we need to later, we will simply send it back for repair.

Steven