News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0712 -200 -2C and Cooling

Started by Acam2014, December 05, 2016, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acam2014

Hi!

I'm using the TE0712-200-2C module with the supported heatsink from Trenz attached.
My desgign draws about 6.5W - 7W power (99% internal FPGA, 1% off-chip) and I'm having troubles keeping the module cool enough. When the ambient temperature is about 22°C the module will stabilize at 80°C, in still air with the heatsink attached.
I've checked that the module isn't damaged and the heatsink is correctly attached, by building an identical setup with another module.
Is this normal temperatures that I could expect with that amount of power drawn?
Have anyone come up with any better solutions for cooling the FPGA?, (btw, I can't use a fan in my design)

Kind regards,
Jonas Nyberg

Thorsten Trenz

Hi,
80°C is junction? What is cooler temperature?

Best Regards,
Thorsten Trenz

Acam2014

Hi,

Correct, 80°C is read from the Vivado system monitor.
Have to come back to you with the cooler temperature, have not got an IR-thermometer at hand at the moment.
There is not so much contact area between the heatsink and Artix7 because of the Artix7 package variant with the chip square in the middle being higher than the rest of the package.

Br,
Jonas

Thorsten Trenz

Hi,
yes. If you properly removed the protection foil on the gap pad, there are only two options left:
1) use thinner gap pad to lower the thermal resistance from chip to cooler
2) use larger cooler.

In some products, we designed for our customers, the module is thermally connected to the enclosure to give larger surface for heat dissipation.

Best Regards,
Thorsten Trenz

Acam2014

Thanks,

Yes, both protection foils are removed (from both sides).
1) Will try this one out.

That is one possibility to make the cooler as a part of the case. I was also thinking of using an industrial grade Artix, which would buy me 85°C -> 100°C (just to increase the thermal margin a little bit.

Br,
Jonas

Thorsten Trenz

Hi,
industrial is also possible. Some customers use the automotive variant for exact this reason.

Best Regards,
Thorsten Trenz