News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

How access ZynqBerry console?

Started by clock, November 19, 2016, 03:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clock

I am new to the ZynqBerry. I cannot access the console over usb.
When I plug in the microusb cable my Windows 10 recognizes two additional USB-Serial COM devices (COM5 and COM6 in my case).
However I cannot open these ports with Putty.
Flashing the QSPI memory worked, so I assume it is not a cable or connectivity issue.
Am I missing a special driver? Any hints?

Andrei Errapart

Could you open the Device Manager (Windows 10: right-click on "Start", from the popup select "Device Manager"), view the properties of the serial ports, in the tab "Port settings" click "Advanced" and unselect "PnP for serial ports"? This avoids Windows loading the serial port mouser driver when there is RX data on an a serial port that has not been opened by any program (yet), as is the case when ZynqBerry is booting and spurting boot messages to the serial port.

One of the serial ports should be the serial console. Just use speed 115200 and disable flow control (PuTTY: on the configuration panel, in the Category tree, select "Serial" and select "None" for the Flow control).

clock

Thank you! Unfortunatly Windows 10 does not have the PnP setting you mentioned.
I have attached a screenshot of the "Advanced" Port Settings tab.
The other port (COM5) looks the same.

Andrei Errapart

My bad, it should have been "Serial Enumerator".

Just in case: a temporary disconnection of the device or reboot might be necessary for this flag to be effective.

Does it help?

clock

No, that did not help. However I made a few experiments and found out, that there seems to be a problem with the latest stable Putty.
I could get console access by using another serial terminal client (TeraTerm).
I also tried on a Windows 8.1 machine and the results were similar: Putty fails to open the port.
Strange though is that on Windows 10 two serial devices appear (of VCP type, i.e. virtual console port) but on Windows 8.1 I get only one.
Both machines automatically installed the latest FTDI driver.

clock

Addendum:
Passing the Zynq USB device through to a virtual Ubuntu machine works too. Ubuntu recognises it as
Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C Dual USB-UART/FIFO IC
and connecting to it (/dev/ttyUSB1 in my case) works fine.