News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0720-03-1CF-S from digikey USB drive issues

Started by edunbar, October 20, 2016, 04:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edunbar

I've recently ordered this board off digikey, and with the build out of the box I am having intermittent USB issues.

Most times, I receive a message that I am unable to enumerate my USB device.  Maybe 1 out of 10 tries, I will get the USB drive to be recognized.

I've tried with 4 different USB drives with similar results.  All the USB drives work with an older -QF board I have available.

Is this a known issue with the version of Petalinux that ships with this board? 

Guidance on how I resolve this?

JH

Hi,
normally it should work. Can you try it with the prebuilt files from our reference project:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/TE0720/Reference_Design/2016.2/test_board

Prebuilt Boot.bin and uimage.ub are included in the larger zip file.
The reference design include also a PetaLinux project with all necessary setting.

Here are also some other links to our Wiki with a general description of the project delivery:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Project+Delivery#ProjectDelivery-QuickStart

br
John

edunbar

That doesn't seem to work for me...

Quotelinux login: root                                                               
Password:                                                                       
login[1098]: root login on 'ttyPS0'                                             
root@linux:~# usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ci_hdrc         
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 3, error -110                             
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ci_hdrc                       
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71                             
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ci_hdrc                       
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 6, error -110                             
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ci_hdrc                       
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ci_hdrc                       
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ci_hdrc                       
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 9, error -110                             
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 10 using ci_hdrc                     
usb-storage 1-1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected                           
scsi host0: usb-storage 1-1:1.0                                                 
usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 10                                       
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 11 using ci_hdrc                     
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 12 using ci_hdrc                     
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 13 using ci_hdrc                     
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 13, error -110                           
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 14 using ci_hdrc                     
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110                                   
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/8, error -110                                   
usb usb1-port1: unable to enumerate USB device       

JH

Hi,

it should work with our images and boot.bin. So i think something should be wrong with your hardware.

You can send the defect board back and we send you a new one.

br
John

edunbar

:o

Just got the RMA'd board today, and I cant seem to get it to work either...I performed the RMA through digikey

Using the image.ub from:
te0720-test_board-vivado_2016.2-build_07_20161018124647.zip\test_board\prebuilt\os\petalinux\default

and the BOOT.bin from:
te0720-test_board-vivado_2016.2-build_07_20161018124647.zip\test_board\prebuilt\boot_images\te0720_1cf\u-boot

Regards,
Pat Schneider

JH

Hi,

i used the same Boot.bin and image.ub from te0720-test_board-vivado_2016.2-build_07_20161018124647 with a TE0720-02-1CF and a TE0703-05. And it works, see screenshot in the attachment.

So i will try to reproduce your error. You use a TE0720-03-1CF with a TE0703-05, can you send me all DIP-switch and Jumper settings, you used.

Best regards
John

edunbar

S2 Settings:
S1-S3 -> towards SD card
S4-> have tried both boot options

J5, J8, J9, J10 -> M1.8V

Additionally, this carrier board has no issues when using an TE0720-03-2IF board not sourced through Digikey, only both of the -1CF boards which I have received through digikey.

Let me know if there is a better way to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards

JH

Hi,

we can also use support@trenz-electronic.de for communication.

S1 and S2 functionality depends on firmware of the Te0703 CPLD, but has nothing to do with USB
With S3 you select the FPGA or the CPLD into the JTAG Chain
With S4 you select the Boot Mode -> towards SC card
J5,J8.. is only for FPGA Bank voltages and for some components, USB works with both voltages.

I tried your setting with a TE0720-02-1CF and i can't reproduced the error.  I get a Starter Kit, like yours, tomorrow and try it again.

I reply, when i finished the test.

br
John

edunbar

Thank you John.

Being 0 for 3 in getting the USB to work on boards from the starter kit is frustrating to say the least.   >:(

Any assistance you can provide is helpful.

Regards

JH

Hi,

I test one new TE0720-03-1CF-S from our warehouse. I used the provided power supply unit and did not changed the switch (all on) and jumper settings (1.8V). All as shipped.
USB works with the shipped images on the SD and also with the images from the reference design.

We will wait of your returned PCB from Digikey. If it's here, I will test it.

br
John

edunbar

John,

Thanks for the update.

Digikey is sending you the one that I RMA'd?  Do you have a time-table for this?

I am interested in getting a running board as soon as possible, and can work to expedite this process if there is anything I can do.

I have two of these kits sitting on my bench which I am experiencing the same issues from (in addition to the one I sent back to Digikey for evaluation).

I've also tried other USB accessories (USB->RS422) which was recognized the first time it was plugged in, but not subsequent times.

Regards

JH

Hi,

yes, we get your RMA'd.  And I  have no time-table for this.

br
John

JH

Hi,

we have received you PCB. And detect the same failure, if we used the shipped power supply unit.

If we use a laboratory power supply, it will be work correctly. But other modules running with the shipped power supply.

We try to find out, what's the problem. At the moment, you can try a a other power supply unit.

BR
John

edunbar

Different supply has seemed to resolve it for my -CF boards not recognizing the USB.

Strange that the -IF boards were not affected by the supply as the -CF boards were.

Let me know what you find.