News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Boot from SD, load .bit-file, start application

Started by id314159, September 22, 2016, 02:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

id314159

Hello trenz electronic community,

after searching the web for solutions for some time and sadly not succeeding I need to ask here:
In my group we want to use a Zynq ZC702 FPGA (carrier board) for testing other components.
Therefore we would need to be able to load a certain .bit-file and execute the corresponding software in the PS from a SD-card. The software part should be able to write log files to the SD card.
As far as we currently understand, especially the latter requirement would also need running/booting a version of Linux. (Does it?)

Many of the manuals I found on the web are either terribly outdated, more or less incomplete or at least partially not helpful when one does not already know the background of what needs to be done there. Trying to combine the steps from different sources ends in even more confusion, especially when one does not know what is outdated or suitable for the given environment.

Since we ideally need to have this finished soon, I want to ask the more experienced users instead of continuing my try&error approach:
In the current situation, we have a .bit file (for which we can see if it was actually programmed into the PL) and a software project which continuously seends data to the SDK terminal, so we can also see if this is running in the PS. (In the end we will replace both by the actually needed .bit file and software, which is mostly finished.)

Vivado 2015.4 is installed on a Windows machine. Vivado 2015.4 and PetaLinux 2015.4 are installed on a Linux VM (Ubuntu 16.4, of which I later read that it does not work well with Vivado and PetaLinux...)

1. "Minimal boot": What needs to be done to just programm the FPGA with the .bit file and execute the software part in the PS under the above assumptions?
(For example the "manual" in message 2 here apparently does not work, although this seems like a "minimal scenario" with no further requirements to me.)

2. Linux boot: As above, but with booting any version of Linux that is most easily usable.
What needs to be done to get this working?

It would be really nice if someone could tell the necessary steps in a way that not much knowledge about the process is needed. If there are more complex steps, it would be nice if links to instructive and up-to-date manuals could be included.

Thanks for your help!

(Also asked here because it is more or less urgent.)

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello,

Best way is to use Petalinux, it will be much easier to work with SD card filesystem.
At first you have to build linux system, you can read https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/PetaLinux+KICKstart
Also you can use reference project as start point http://www.trenz-electronic.de/download/d0/Trenz_Electronic/d1/TE0720/d2/Reference%20Designs.html

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko