News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0729 Power consumption + cooling

Started by chris_est, August 01, 2016, 03:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_est

Hi,
I was wondering what the power consumption of the TE0729 Zynq Board together with the TEB0729 Baseboard might be ?
I connected the Baseboard to a 5V power supply and it draws about 1,6A (=8W) of power when booting the petalinux 2016.2 Reference Design from your website.
After about 5min the Power Supply ICs U24+U25 have >80°C and the Zynq has ~60°C. After 15min the whole board has 75-80°C during which the Linux System was idle and only one Ethernet cable (out of 3) have been connected.
Is this normal for a Zynq Device or is a passive/active cooling solution required ?
   Best regards, Chris

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hi Chris,

For test design, current should be around 0.4 A at start and then around 0.7 A after linux boot. Your
board is definitely damaged.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

chris_est

Hi,
Thank you for your fast reply.
Is there anything else I can test or should I contact your Support ?

btw: The Baseboard current consumption is ~55mA @5V, I guess this is ok so it must be the Zynq Board thats damaged, right ?

Antti Lukats

your board power consumption seems really to be too high to be normal.

what is power consumption when the zynq is held in reset?

chris_est

When I press the Reset Button on the Baseboard and then apply power to it, power consumption is ~1,45A @5V (after releasing the reset button it increases to ~1,55-1,6A @5V).

Antti Lukats

then there is some damage happened, we test all boards here also for power consumption and it is very unlikely we have shipped out a board that takes 3x more than regular current.

chris_est

The error is fixed now: The Board has been tested by Trenz and it was ok. The error was on the Base Board (TEB0729) - the jumpers J6/J7 were set incorrectly and did connect different voltage sources which should not be connected when using the TE0729 Zynq Board.