News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0715-30 with TE0701 getting hot

Started by rmd91, February 05, 2016, 02:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmd91

My coworker and I noticed the FPGA on our boards are getting hot when running the test image. About how warm would you expect these boards to be (hot, warm, cool)? We have the TE0715-30 and the TE0701-04 carrier. The jumper are configured according to: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/4X5B/TE0701+Jumper+Configurations#TE0701JumperConfigurations-Configuring1.8VSupplyVoltageforTE0715-xx-30.

I've used the bitstream on the SD card, the prebuild TE0715-30 test_board image here (http://www.trenz-electronic.de/download/d0/Trenz_Electronic/d1/TE0715/d2/reference_designs/d3/2015.2.html), and my built from source test_board.

Thanks

Thorsten Trenz

Hi,
hot is relative. With the test image, you should be able to touch the FPGA surface. I do not have a board at hand to make a measurement right now.
If you cannot touch it anymore, something is wrong with your setup. Please measure all voltages, especially the ones at the HP banks.

Best Regards
Thorsten Trenz

rmd91

Hi Thorsten,

I can touch the FPGA without burning myself, it's just noticeably warm/hot. I'll check the voltages just to be sure.

Thanks,
Richard

rmd91

Hi Thorsten,

I measured the IO voltages as follows:

J21 Pin1=1.8V, Pin2=0V, Pin3=0V
J17 Pin1=3.3V, Pin2=1.8V, Pin3=2.5V

I hadn't programmed the FMC voltage, since I didn't think I needed it without the card installed. I tried to read back from the CPLD to see what the settings were but u-boot reports:

U-Boot-TE0715> i2c probe
Valid chip addresses:

U-Boot-TE0715> i2c md 0x22 0
Error reading the chip.

Is there a reason I wouldn't be able to access the I2C bus? I can try the files in the test_board archive instead of what was installed on the SD card provided.

Thanks,
Richard

Antti Lukats

Hi

we have currently no designs online that configure the EMIO I2C to access the I2C in TE0701 so if you did not add this yourself then uboot for sure would not see anything.

All the 715 designs are generic, and do not use any features of the baseboards, thats why the i2c is not connected.