News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Started by Antti Lukats, November 26, 2015, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antti Lukats

some info about the new Vivado release:

1) 2015.4 includes HLS C synthese in free version, no fee required any more!
2) 2015.4 is the last version that support HLS for spartan-6 this weird, I wonder how many users are using HLS with S-6?
3) board-part files from 2015.3 seem to work, there is no change

As this is STABLE release and there will be Linux releases matching 2015.4 it is advised to upgrade 2015.3 to 2015.4 (2015.3 was beta-release as always odd numbers).

For design using linux, need still wait until Xilinx linux 2015.4 gets released this can take a few more weeks.

We are preparing 2015.4 support and designs, there will be no updates to 2015.3 board files or designs, eg all 2015.3 we re-target to 2015.4.
Older designs will also be ported to 2015.4

At this moment there is one demo design in our downloads for TE0712, this design includes a build script that:

1) creates the design/project
2) exports hw
3) builds srec bootloader and hello world
4) sets srec bootloader elf to be embedded into bram
5) creates bit file (with bootloader in brams)
6) exports HDF with bitfile for SDK software design
7) converts hello.elf to s-records
8) creates MCS file
9) flashes the SPI flash on TE0712
10) forces the FPGA to reboot from spi flash

hello is loaded to DDR and says hello world!

similar design for other modules, including zynq based ones will follow.

The above design has been tested on win PC, and TE0712-200, all works out of the box as described above

We will enhance/change the scripts, but it can already today be used as reference how to build hw and sw in one go

Antti Lukats

TE0720 design for 2015.4

http://www.trenz-electronic.de/de/download/d0/Trenz_Electronic/d1/TE0720-GigaZee/d2/reference_designs/d3/2015.4.html

included build scripts that generate all files for all module derivatives (also -1CR), ready made bit hdf elf and boot.bin files also included

henry_hallam

Hi, are there plans to release board files and/or demo design for the TE0715-03-15 and TE0715-03-30 under Vivado 2015.4?  Or any hints on how to migrate the 2015.2 examples to 2015.4?
Thanks!

Antti Lukats

yes of course, the ref design will all get updated-upgraded to 2015.4

In most cases old designs, if once CREATED with TCL in 2015.2 can be opened in 2015.4, but proper 2015.4 ones will come, its WIP coming one by one.

henry_hallam

Thanks Antti.  I'll try using an installation of 2015.2 as you suggest.

Antti Lukats

I just converted and tested first TE0715 design to 2015.4 it worked with no manual mods, but we need some small time to make the project to build for both 7015 and 7030 so i will not upload today anything.

but it really comes very soon

henry_hallam

Thanks, it is appreciated :)

Antti Lukats

we are getting close to release the files, there are some small gotchas with 2015.4

if 2 uarts are enabled, and sys console is UART1, then all SEEMS to be OK, but:

uboot would use wrong console, and if the linux settings are left by default, then uboot would try to load from SD card, and if fsbl is compiled with no debug, then ..

you see nothing because there is uboot prompt on wrong uart saying that there is no sd card inserted..

so while fbl, and u-boot and linux image are all OK, you see nothing unless you boot from SD and wait enough to see linux bootlog.. from spi flash there would be no output at all..

fixing and resolving this now.

m.brock

One month later, how close are you now?

And where can I find board files for vivado 2015.2?
I can only find them for 2014.4 and when I use these I get an empty PS configuration in vivado 2015.2.

Or where can I find the complete settings for the the Zynq configuration in the IPI? What should be enabled, on which pins, at what speed, with which delays?

Antti Lukats

http://www.trenz-electronic.de/de/download/d0/Trenz_Electronic/d1/TE0720-GigaZee/d2/reference_designs/d3/2015.4.html

click on crearte_project.bat it will create full vivado project.

seprate board files will also be uploaded, for 2015.4 only, not for 2015.2, there are new features introduced in 2015.3, so it is more reasonable to provide 2015.4 support than for the previous versions.

whitsydaddy

Antti,
I saw an earlier post where you mentioned issues with the console port.  In my design I am redirecting the console out to an axi-uartlite.  When I boot I can see some printfs that I added to the fsbl, but then nothing afterwards.  Did you fix the console issues in your release?  Thanks, Scott

Antti Lukats

Hm, no

there are no issues with console, well just have all setting right! ;)
This is sometimes confusing, if you have more than 1 UART, the "default" may be taken almost as random:

FSBL would take UART0 as default
Petalinux would take UART1 as default
Sometimes it also happens that u-boot and linux have different console settings
If you use AXI UART, then you can print from FSBL only after Bitstream load is done and level shifters are enabled.
I think there was or is some special in Petalinux if linux console is on axi_uart

I think the above considerations are the base I said there are problems.

I have a fight with uboot and linux to disagree on default console several times, wasting plenty of time each time in the rebuild and retest cycle.

whitsydaddy

Yes I am seeing the same thing.  We are using our TE0720 on one of the 0703 breakout boards and we need the console going to something other than the default PS0 (on MIO13/MIO14 I think).  I have PS1 going to pins through the FPGA (EMIO) and if I set that to the console I can see the FSBL printfs and U-boot on PS1, but then the kernel boot output then switches to PS0  :-\. With the randomness of this process, it looks like my next attempts would be to either:  route PS0 from the default MIO pins to MIO10 and MIO11 (which look to be available on the breakout board), or remove PS0 from my design.  Do you suppose I will have any issues booting if I switch the pins for PS0?  Thanks, Scott

Antti Lukats

actually it is manageable, and then at the end it makes and all works too.

if you get wrong console on linux, you can override it to right on in the top dts, this would for sure fix the problem.

But when all works this is not event needed.

There should be really need to try use other physical uart port because of this