News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Ethernet GMII

Started by bn3232, September 14, 2015, 08:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bn3232

I use my own Ethernet module (verilog) on TE0600-2 LX45, but due to some problems, I want to switch to IP Core. There is a Tri Mode Ethernet MAC IP Core in ISE. Is there a sample code using this IP Core?
How about using Microblaze? Is it a good solution to put ethernet handler in microblaze, and others (realtime modules) in verilog? Is it possible to communicate between verilog modules and microblaze code?

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello

> Is there a sample code using this IP Core?
You can easily found it in Xilinx examples. There is two ways to use it with DMA and with FIFO.

> How about using Microblaze?
You have to use Microblaze if you want to work with high level ethernet protocols (ARP, ICMP, UDP/TCP)

> Is it a good solution to put ethernet handler in microblaze, and others (realtime modules) in verilog? Is it possible to communicate between verilog modules and microblaze code?
Yes you can build project this way. I made commercial project long time ago with axi_ethernet core and microblaze. Ethernet communication was based on FIFO core axi_fifo_mm_s. Between axi_ethernet and
axi_fifo_mm_s was custom core which control packets transfer and insert it's own packets in ethernet stream. This way Microblaze process only control packets and usual Ethernet staff like ICMP ARP TFTP and so on, and all high speed data was sent by custom core. But you should note that this Ethernet cores axi_ethernet and Tri Mode Ethernet MAC requires license to be full functional.
Unfortunatelly I can't share source code, but can answer your questions.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

bn3232

Quote from: Oleksandr Kiyenko on September 14, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
You can easily found it in Xilinx examples. There is two ways to use it with DMA and with FIFO.
Thanks for your help. Where can I find the examples?