News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Vivado 2015.3 board files

Started by Antti Lukats, November 07, 2015, 01:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antti Lukats

we do not encourage using ODD versions of Vivado, as they are do not have matching petalinux release and are considered as "introduce new features" releases (EVEN numbers are more stable).

we just found that our board files for 2015.2 do not work in 2015.3 due to one missing line in board.xml

<component name="ps7_fixedio" display_name="PS7 fixed IO" type="chip" sub_type="fixed_io" major_group=""/>   

</components>

the line with ps7_fixedio is missing in our current 2015.2 board files making then incompatible to 2015.3

we will fix our 2015.2 files and test that they at least pass parsing when opened in 2015.3

This is just a advice-hint, it is still not recommended to upgrade to ODD version without valid reason.

martin

I can't find the position for the missing line in the board_part.xml

Because there is no components tag at all...

Is it possible to get an updated board file?
I try to run the TE0720 with the TE0703 carrier board but without success. The green LED (LED3) is always ON and the red LED is blinking (1Hz)

Antti Lukats

sorry I was not precise, see below

but 2015.4 was just RELEASED, so the next update please use .4 as it is STABLE release...!

basically missing was

<components>
!!!! this was missing and made it .3 incompatible
<component name="ps7_fixedio" display_name="PS7 fixed IO" type="chip" sub_type="fixed_io" major_group=""/>     </components>
!!!!
</components>
from the

<components>

martin

when I add this lines

<board_part...
  <components>
    <!--
       !!!! this was missing and made it .3 incompatible
     -->
     <component name="ps7_fixedio" display_name="PS7 fixed IO" type="chip" sub_type="fixed_io" major_group=""/>     </components>
  </components>
</board_part>

into the board_part.xml file I can't select the TE0720 board if i create a new vivado project.
I tested Vivado 2015.3 and 2015.4.

Please can you add the correct xml file to this communication?
Thanks.

Antti Lukats

Hi

1) your XML is invalid </components> tag is listed TWICE
2) did you place the board_part files to where Vivado actually scans them? this setting CAN NOT BE ALTERED when Vivado has been started, it has to be set before, there are 3 ways to use board files

a) in Xilinx repo
b) user global repo, need to edit init.tcl in Xilinx folders
c) in project repo, need to set board path when CREATING project using a script

we have opted for choice c, and are redoing all our design to reflect this, so there will be no need to modify any files in C:\Xilinx
it is sufficient to create new project with provided script, and the board part files are installed locally from relative path to the XPR file itself

2015.4 releases will come out during the next week, but I can upload some of them as preliminary later today

martin

Thanks,
the invalid </components> was the reason that the TE0720 board wasn't visible in Vivado.

But still, I can't run a simple HelloWorld project
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=10625459

The LEDs in the TE0720 board are always...
green LED (LED3) -> ON
red LED ->  blinking (1Hz)

And I don't know where the issue is.
It would be great if you can upload some project files for the 2015.4 today. Maybe I will bring me a step forward...

Antti Lukats

I am  not able to provide files for -1CR today, sorry.

All our designs are initially targetting modules with 1GB ram installed, those modules should be used for development.
The -CR reduced assembly option modules are meant for volume customers, and not for debug purposes.
Of course the 1CR can be used for test-debug, just that we have less files ready to support debugging on -1CR sorry about this.

2013.2 howto and videos are badly out of date.

OK to get started: please try to understand the Xilinx flow for Zynq, this is sometimes hard to see all the Dependancies.

If try to run hello from SDK, then very likely there will be no change on LEDs on the module.

to get started enable debug in FSBL, then you at least see what is happening, it can be there is problem with FSBL in that case absolutly nothing would be on console as default is quiet for FSBL.

when i get -1CR tested desings, I will post here ASAP

martin

:) I think I get it.
Maybe there was different things coming together.
- Vivado version 2015.4
- Import of the "TE0720-01_a.xml"
   --> change SDIO frequenz from 125MHz to 100MHz

A easy hello world project is running now :)

Antti Lukats

:)

but this was really not to be meant to be done this way :) ...

I am working as I type, well as FIRST some files for Vviado 2015.4 and TE0712 will appear, then TE0720

But adding -1CR support into auto build scripts is bit tricky, as soon as project part has once being set, and BD once saved, Vivado saves the settings inherited from board parts (eg -1CR memory..) into BD or BD.tcl

So this file can not be directly used to auto create ref design for multiple SoM derivates.

There are some solutions, but it all requires some clever TCL scripting from our side. Coming up.

-----------------
The 125MHz was of course bad thing to catch-find...