News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

external bitstream configuration for TE0712

Started by marode, May 07, 2015, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marode

Hi there,

is it possible to configure the FPGA on the TE0712 with an external device (FPGA/MCU)?
It seems, the only possibility is via JTAG, or am I wrong?

The pins for serial slave configuration are not routed to the board connectors, as far as I can see.
Also the flash SPI signals are not accessible directly, only via the FPGA. So it would be possible to reprogram the flash with the FPGA and then reboot.

Are there any other/simple ways to configure the FPGA externally?

Best regards,
Marode

Antti Lukats

There are plenty of possibilities
1) it is possible to reroute the SPI flash to FPGA pins, so after configuration it would be accessible to external MCU
2) spi flash is accessible from FPGA, so microblaze can reprogram it, using data source as needed, or implment gateway to extertnal mcu

we are working and will soon provide a generic "multiboot" reference design for all our non-zynq modules and products, this multiboot allows application bitstream loading from any media..

basically it is a template for golden image that reboot the application image.

there is no need to make any changes to application bitstream, it just will be flashed to some higher address in spi flash

the golden template can be changed to add functions to update app bitstream from anywhere your interface you have

for TE0710, TE0712 it is also possible to add SD card support using xilinx SPI IP Core in u-boot and linux, then it is easy to load bitstream from sd card

marode

thank you very much for your suggestions.
1) is probably the easiest approach for my case.
2) is actually what I wrote.

And I really like the multiboot option.