News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Device Tree: Workflow

Started by Tim S., June 03, 2015, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim S.

Dear all,

after successfully implementation of Trenz reference petalinux for Vivado 2014.4 and Petalinux 2014.4 onto TE0720, I created my own petalinux version.

Because of the fact, that my own petalinux contains an empty device tree 'system-top.dts' and differs to the one of Trenz refplnx, I decided to create a new device tree with SDK by following the instructions of Xilinx building a device tree, in the document:http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build+Device+Tree+Blob

After building petalinux with new created device tree, I was not able to ping from my board to computer and vice versa. So the problem was the ethernet connection.
The device tree of Xilinx differs from the one of Trenz refplnx. I wonder why the device tree of Xilinx SDK does not work correctly. After editing my device tree by complementing the missing lines with the lines of Trenz device tree, ethernet connection works correctly.

This way seems a bit too complicated for me and I believe there is a more comfortable way to realize a working device tree for TE0720.

Does anybody know whether there is a more comfortable way to create a device tree for TE0720?

Best regards

Tim

Antti Lukats

Hi

you are really trying it the hard way, it has sometimes worked that SDK devicetree generator also works, but it is much much easier to not waste time with that.

petalinux-config --get-hw-description

generates the devicetree, you only modify system-top.dts
(and optionally your own dtsi files)

this is very easy and comfortable way.

Tim S.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer.

The command creates my device tree with an empty system-top.dts. I suppose I have to modify it, because keeping it empty cause a ethernet problem as described before.
Is this the normal case?

My hdf file was generated by Vivado from your reference project 2014.4.

Best regards

Tim

Antti Lukats

YES of course this is the correct and recommended flow.

system-top.dts is the only file that is not OVERWRITTEN by petalinux, so this is where all customization must be done.

This is the normal case, that is the way it is designed to work and to be used.