News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

No EMIO GPIO in ref_plnx

Started by m.brock, April 08, 2015, 01:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.brock

Hi,

I have a question about the TE0720-02 ref_plnx reference project. I regenerated the Vivado project and I only see the TE0720 System Controller in the Block Design, but no EMIO GPIO. This seems strange to me because the devicetree (TE0720-01-1CR.dts) claims it needs gpio54 for some mux signal towards this controller. I found out about this because I needed EMIO GPIO myself and was unable to export gpio54. Is this intentional or is it an omission in the block design?

Btw. What is the difference between TE0720-01-1CR and TE0720-02-1CR?

Maarten

m.brock

Oh, and where is this I2CMUX signal supposed to go? It's not in the constraint file and from the schematic of the TE0720 it's not obvious to me either.

Maarten

m.brock

Is EMIO GPIO[0] (/sys/class/gpio/gpio54) maybe supposed to be connected to pin R15 of the Zynq which routes to X0 on the system controller? It seems to be the only one not present in the constraint file.

Antti Lukats

Quote from: m.brock on April 08, 2015, 01:41:46 PM
Oh, and where is this I2CMUX signal supposed to go? It's not in the constraint file and from the schematic of the TE0720 it's not obvious to me either.

Maarten

it is supposed to go somewhere if there is a use for it, it can be just left disconnected. Basically its a split of the I2C bus to be used by external devices or extra devices in PL.

Antti Lukats

Quote from: m.brock on April 08, 2015, 01:35:02 PM
Hi,

I have a question about the TE0720-02 ref_plnx reference project. I regenerated the Vivado project and I only see the TE0720 System Controller in the Block Design, but no EMIO GPIO. This seems strange to me because the devicetree (TE0720-01-1CR.dts) claims it needs gpio54 for some mux signal towards this controller. I found out about this because I needed EMIO GPIO myself and was unable to export gpio54. Is this intentional or is it an omission in the block design?

Btw. What is the difference between TE0720-01-1CR and TE0720-02-1CR?

Maarten

1) the reference design was made from "use all pins as GPIO" design where EMIO width was set to 48. So EMIO was enabled but with width of 48 and not 64. Changed fixed, thank you!
2) TE0720-02 does not need or use the "mux gpio" this pin is not all connected to the system controller in TE0720, for backward compatibility the SC0720 ip core drives logic low there.

Backward compatible version with extra input for gpio-mux will come also. Current version should work on 720-01 too, just the MEMS i2c would not be accessible.

NOTE: the ref_plnx builds do build for 1GB DDR3 at the moment, also when -1CR is selected, we are fixing this, currently it has to be done manually for the smaller DDR3

m.brock

A related question: in the download section I can find schematics for a TE0720-02-2CR. Is this identical to a TE0720-02-1CR with only a different speed grade Zynq? Or is there no TE0720-02-2CR at all as the table at http://www.trenz-electronic.de/products/fpga-boards/trenz-electronic/te0720-zynq.html seems to suggest and thus the schematics PDF has a wrong name?

Antti Lukats

3 of the 5 schematics had misleading filenames. Fixed now will be updated.

there is is no TE0720-02-2CF at the moment in the standard assembly variants we offer.

m.brock

Quote from: Antti Lukats on April 08, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
2) TE0720-02 does not need or use the "mux gpio" this pin is not all connected to the system controller in TE0720, for backward compatibility the SC0720 ip core drives logic low there.

Ok, now that I have looked at the right schematics, I see that X0 is no longer present. Does this also mean I should delete the i2cmux0 from the DTS file? I expect so.

Btw. I have the TE0720-02-1CR, so no MEMS there. And also no eMMC.
I guess this means I can also delete SD1 for eMMC from the DTS.

Antti Lukats

Quote from: m.brock on April 08, 2015, 02:52:18 PM
Ok, now that I have looked at the right schematics, I see that X0 is no longer present. Does this also mean I should delete the i2cmux0 from the DTS file? I expect so.

Btw. I have the TE0720-02-1CR, so no MEMS there. And also no eMMC.
I guess this means I can also delete SD1 for eMMC from the DTS.

i2cmux, yes
deleting SD1, no you CAN NOT delete PS7 peripherals from DTS if you do it the right way!

you can:
1) modify system-top.dts
2) add own .dtsi files

SD1 is already included, and if you delete it, then petalinux will overwrite it again

you can set the peripheral to "disabled" in system-top.dts

this would be correct way