News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Network Boot the Zynq Module from u-boot

Started by Rafael, November 28, 2014, 11:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

Hi,

is there a possibility to automatically obtain the MAC address in u-boot to be able to make a network boot from a tftp server?

Right now I have to set the MAC address manually by

setenv ethaddr ....

then do dhcp and finally run netboot.

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hi

There is several posibilities to set MAC:
1. Set environment varable in u-boot board init code.
2. Set some constant MAC in u-boot configuration header file.
3. Read variables from external file.

Solution depends on your needs (static MAC or read unique MAC from external source) and build environment (u-boot from petalinux or u-boot from repository)

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

Rafael

I would like to have unique MACs to be board independent and use the MAC from the System Controller.

That one that is already read out by the FSBL with your add-ons in the fsbl_hooks.c file.

PS: I'm using u-boot from petalinux.

Antti Lukats

Hi Rafael,

it is unfortunately so that there is no "clean" way to make this happen in u-boot, without changing the source code in petalinux uboot.

we can and do read out the MAC in the fsbl_hooks.c and configure the ETH0 IP.
This MAX setting is honored by Linux, so all is OK as soon linux boots.

Unfortunately u-boot does not honor the fact that MAC address has already been set, and either overwrites it, or if the MAC address is set to "" then fails to overwrite and does not get any valid MAC.

Petalinux 2014.4 should be released on 2nd DEC as soon as it happens we check the status of this issue, and then provide a solution.

Rafael

Ok, thanks. At least it helps me to stop investigate further this issue:-)