News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Problems running linux kernel 3.13 for TE0720

Started by amb_kosh, May 16, 2014, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwwright

Thanks for the link to the bsp.  And it's good that no patches are needed to the xilinx git repositories.  But it seems that there still are some missing pieces, specifically:

1) te0720 config for u-boot-xlnx
2) te0720 config for xilinx-linux
3) te0720 device tree script (.dts) for xilinx-linux

I have installed the full petalinux- are any of the files described above to be found in there somewhere?  Can you at least give us the names you've chosen for these so that I can search for these?  Is "te0720" in any of these files? I have searched in both of the xilinx repositories (linux and u-boot) and also in the full petalinux and found nothing...

Antti Lukats

our published petalinux bsp of course includes

1) linux config - for xilinx linux 3.17
2) uboot config
3) top level DTS file

Antti Lukats

Quote from: Antti Lukats on February 15, 2015, 08:40:43 AM
our published petalinux bsp of course includes

1) linux config - for xilinx linux 3.17
2) uboot config
3) top level DTS file
4) fsbl_hooks.c

just install the BSP or just uncompress the bsp file if you do not want install petalinux. All the files are there.

danwwright

Yes I can install the BSP and Petalinux does seem happy with it... but then the build fails.  I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.  At one point there was some advice from Trenz against using 64-bit Linux hosts.  Has that issue been corrected or might it be time for me to install 32-bit Linux to see if this makes the build succeed?

Antti Lukats

you can get lucky with 64 bit also, but we can not test all linux derivates there are just too many of them.

I use centos-6.5-32 others use centos-6.6-64, both work, I guess there are many other version:combination that work, but we are unable to fix issues if those are related to specific linux versions.

If you have linux setup so that petalinux builds work, then ASFAIK our bsps should be usable as well.

lcn

Quotejust install the BSP or just uncompress the bsp file if you do not want install petalinux. All the files are there

Ok, there is inside  a lot of configs for u-boot, kernel... but how I integrate these file with xilinx repositories?? Anyone tried to uncompress the bsp file and use those files with xilinx repositories without Petalinux??

danwwright

I'm using petalinux and below is the build failure I see by simply starting by using the TE0720-02-GPIO bsp and attempting to build.  The host is Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and I believe that I have all of the build prerequisites installed correctly.  Any ideas?

dwright@dwright-Studio-XPS-9100:~/vtd_petalinux/TE0720-02-GPIO$ petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
INFO: Building linux
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/fwupgrade
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/peekpoke
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/spitool
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/uWeb
[INFO ] build linux/kernel
[INFO ] update linux/u-boot source
[INFO ] generate linux/u-boot configuration files
[INFO ] build linux/u-boot
[INFO ] build zynq_fsbl
[INFO ] Updating for armv7a-vfp-neon
[INFO ] Updating package manager
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_update] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux
dwright@dwright-Studio-XPS-9100:~/vtd_petalinux/TE0720-02-GPIO$

Antti Lukats

Hi

We are really sorry that we can not test petalinux on all linux derivates.

We use in-house currently centos-6.5-32 and centos-6.6-64, in both cases we see no issues.

So we know that IF all pre requisites are installed correctly on supported linux platform then petalinux works without issues. We have no influence on Xilinx to make them to support Ubuntu. I know a lot are trying to make pressure on Xilinx, but it is just useless unfortunately.

danwwright

Yes- it was a distro issue and not a Trenz issue.  But I'll post here how I fixed this for Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit for the benefit of others.   The failed build log showed a failure to load libstdc++6.so.  What was needed was the 32-bit version of this lib even though the OS is 64-bit.  I fixed it like so:

sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6-4.7-dev

Antti Lukats

the lib++ 32 bit stuff is known issue, or at least it kinda rings a bell, that it has been needed, and thank you.

We are really focusing on getting the support design ready, and not testing linux distros. In virtual box it is ir-relevant what linux to install, if you have desktop PC with linux as primary OS, then of course would be nice to have petalinux working with your OS.