News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Network connection on TE0701 carrier board

Started by TimB, September 17, 2013, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimB

Hi,

Having booted linux ok, I am trying to connect our Zynq board to the network so far without success.  I have been following the Reference projects guides on the Trenz wiki and I'm wondering if the issue I have is related to the settings in the device tree blob.  If you follow the instructions on building linux, download the kernel source from the Trenz git servers and try to build the device tree blob, the command fails because there are no source DTS files named TE0720-01-* in the dts source directory.  I have been able to build and run linux by reverse-compiling the device tree blob that comes with the pre-built images for linux (or just using the provided dtb file unless you need to change anything).  But even doing this doesn't fix the network problem, the pre-built dtb is configured to get an IP address by dhcp, but this just times out.  You can modify the dts to assign a static IP address, but this doesn't work either.

Any help on this would be appreciated,

thanks,

Tim

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello

You can found DTS files in github repository https://github.com/Trenz-Electronic/linux-te-3.9/tree/master/arch/arm/boot/dts
Your problem can be also related to autonegatiation, with direct connection to some 100Mbit NICs autonegatiation fails. You can try to connect module via switch.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

TimB

Ok, thanks, can you explain why I didn't get these files when I issues the git clone command as described in the wiki:

> git clone git://github.com/Trenz-Electronic/linux-xlnx.git linux-te-3.9

If those files are not present it makes me wonder what else might be different/missing..

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello

This files was added month ago. Maybe you did git clone earlier.
In any case better do "git pull" to be sure that you working with latest version.

UPD
I see that you use wrong repository
should be
git clone git://github.com/Trenz-Electronic/linux-te-3.9

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

TimB

Ok, I have taken the correct dts source now, building with this doesn't change the behaviour I am seeing, and connecting through a switch doesn't make any different either.

When the board boots, the green light on the network port is flashing and so is LED UL1 (on the carrier board), however you can't ping the IP address assigned to the board, and when you try and ping from the board RX packets on the eth0 interface (as shown by ifconfig) doesn't increment, only RX packets for the lo interface does

TimB

Yes, I just noticed I was using the wrong repository, you should update your wiki page:

https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/TE0720/Linux+kernel+3.9

..which is where I took the command from

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello

Which base board are you using TE0701 or TE0603 ?

With best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Can you describe your network configuration and show ifconfig output

TimB

zynq> ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:A3:AC:0D:DE
          inet addr:192.168.172.6  Bcast:192.168.172.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:54 Base address:0xb000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

zynq>

We have a standard LAN with IP addresses in the range 192.168.172.* and netmask 255.255.255.0
There is a DHCP server, which provides addresses from 192.168.172.10 upwards.
Our IT administrator has allocated me static IP address 192.168.172.6 if I wish to use it.

Oleksandr Kiyenko

TimB

I think we have tried both 100Mbit and Gigabit options (initially it was a gigabit connection, but then I tried connecting through a switch as per your suggestion and the switch is 100Mbit)

TimB

We are running the board in 3.3V mode if this throws any light on the issue

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello
Please test it also with Gigabit switch and straight and cross cable.
If it's not help, please send this board back - we will investigate this problem.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

TimB

Hi, we just tried it with a gigabit switch and it's working, it doesn't work when connected through a 10/100Mbit switch..

thanks,

Tim

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello

Can you please inform me which network cards are you using for testing. We will try to reproduce this issue.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

TimB

Hi, it didn't work with the Netgear 10/100 switch FS608(v3) or the 100Mbit patch panel Dell PowerConnect 3548. It does work with the Netgear 10/100/1000 switch GS608(v3) and also directly into the G-PRO interface on an IBM ThinkCenter.

Oleksandr Kiyenko