News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0630 power on problem

Started by Pascal_H, September 04, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pascal_H

Hi,
I designed a carrier board for a TE0630 module, it works fine except some times at power on!
When I switch on the power supply (5V DC 2A), configuring FPGA doesn't always success. In this case, when I check DONE signal, it is inactive.
I test other power supplies (linear or switching ones) with same result.
On the carrier board I let /MR signal unconnected. If I connect for a short time this signal to ground, result is not always good, but if I do the same with PROG signal (FPGA pin AA1) it works every time.
The FPGA is XC6SLX45 part and I can experiment this behaviour with the blinking led firmware with nothing connected on module. I didn't modify FX2 firmware.
I don't find any topic about this problem, am I the only one ?
Do you know what could be the reason ?

Thanks

Ales Gorkic

Hi Pascal,

We have power-on reset circuit to avoid situation like this.
Do you have an oscilloscope to make some measurements?
Please measure 5V and 3.3V rail on the module and send us images. Maybe you have some unwanted transients.

Best regards,

Ales

Thorsten Trenz

Pascal_H

Hi,

thanks for these quick replies.
You could find attached 5V and 3.3V power supplies at start-up.
I measure 3.3V on capacitors C54/C55 (on TE0630 module), 5V is measured on my carrier board.

I attached an other oscilloscope screen with +5V and PROG signal. This signal is the same with good or wrong FPGA configuration.

Searching 3.3V, I found a minor error in UM-TE0630 documentation : JTAG connector J2 pin 6 is not 3.3V but 2.5V (VCCaux).

Thanks Thorsten, I found that I have 2.2 FX2 firmware version, I will upgrade to version 3 and tell you the result.

Best regards

Pascal

Pascal_H

Hi,

I upgrade to FX2 firmware version 3 (with old VID/PID) and I have the same start-up problem at power on.
Do you think my module is defectuous ?
I 'm designing a prototype, but there will be production after validation, so I need a reliable solution.

Best regards

Pascal

Ales Gorkic

Hi Pascal,

The 3.3V line has some transients, but configuration starts long after that. Can you please measure 3.3V rail when configuration starts in fine timescale.

Can you please check what happens when you connect power from USB cable (remove module from your baseboard).
LED should power ON when reference design is loaded sucessfully.
This way we can see if you have a problem with baseboard or not.

Best regards,

Ales

Pascal_H

Hi Ales,

I try 10 times to connect module only with USB cable (module was not on my baseboard) and start-up was successful only 4 times (the FPGA firmware is "blinking led" example).
I attached oscilloscope screens for 3.3V when /PROG is asserted with 50µs and 500ns timebase. These measures were on module without baseboard (power via USB cable). I can't see any transient.

Best regards

Pascal

Thorsten Trenz

Hi Pascal,
can you please sent the board in for inspection? Maybe it got damaged.

best regards
Thorsten Trenz

Pascal_H

Hi Thorsten,

I will order a second TE-0630 module and return the first  for inspection after delivery of the second one, because I need one for my work.

It is not a problem, because I need two modules (one for a prototype I have to deliver to my customer, and another one for me).

Thanks and best regards

Pascal

Pascal_H

Hi Thorsten,

I received a new TE0630 module yesterday and it works perfectly, no more power on problem.
I will return the first one for inspection.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards

Pascal