News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TEI0050 Basic Example Creation Errors

Started by stm, February 12, 2023, 07:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stm

Hi,

I'm trying to set up the "TEI0050 Basic Example" from the "TEI0050-test_board-quartus_21.1.1-20220811093807.zip" package:

https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/trenzdownloads/Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/2.5x7.07/TEI0050/Reference_Design/21.1/test_board/TEI0050-test_board-quartus_21.1.1-20220811093807.zip

I have installed "Intel® Quartus® Prime Lite Edition Design Software, Version 21.1.1" on Windows 10 Professional, and when I'm running the "create_project_win.cmd" script, the "Create Project" dialog pops up. After clicking the "Create project" button, the script runs for a while, and at the end it fails with the following error messages:

Info: [TE_SDK-05] Create bsp. Please wait ...
Info: [TE_SDK-06] Command results on: exec wsl bash /mnt/c/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/nios2_command_shell.sh ./create-this-bsp --no-make:

create-this-bsp: Running "nios2-bsp hal . E:/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1/test_board/quartus/NIOS_test_board.sopcinfo --set hal.enable_small_c_library true        --set hal.enable_c_plus_plus false        --set hal.enable_reduced_device_drivers true --cpu-name nios2"
nios2-bsp hal . E:/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1/test_board/quartus/NIOS_test_board.sopcinfo --set hal.enable_small_c_library true        --set hal.enable_c_plus_plus false        --set hal.enable_reduced_device_drivers true --cpu-name nios2 failed
wslpath: .
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘’: No such file or directory
nios2-bsp: Can't mkdir -p
Info: [TE_SDK-07] Create bsp -> done
------------------------------
Info: [TE_SDK-08] Create app. Please wait ...
Info: [TE_SDK-09] Command results on: exec wsl bash /mnt/c/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/nios2_command_shell.sh ./create-this-app --no-make:

create-this-bsp: Running "nios2-bsp hal . E:/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1/test_board/quartus/NIOS_test_board.sopcinfo --set hal.enable_small_c_library true        --set hal.enable_c_plus_plus false        --set hal.enable_reduced_device_drivers true --cpu-name nios2"
nios2-bsp hal . E:/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1/test_board/quartus/NIOS_test_board.sopcinfo --set hal.enable_small_c_library true        --set hal.enable_c_plus_plus false        --set hal.enable_reduced_device_drivers true --cpu-name nios2 failed
create-this-bsp failed
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘’: No such file or directory
nios2-bsp: Can't mkdir -p
Info: [TE_SDK-10] Create app -> done
Info: [TE_SDK-11] Make all - software. Please wait ...
Info: [TE_SDK-12] Command results on: exec wsl bash /mnt/c/intelfpga_lite/21.1/nios2eds/nios2_command_shell.sh make:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Info: [TE_SDK-13] Make all - software -> done
Info: [TE_SDK-14] Generate hex file. Please wait ...
Error: [TE_DES-42] Script (TE::SDK::generate_hex_file) failed: couldn't open "E:/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1/test_board/software/hello_tei0050_bsp/mem_init.mk": no such file or directory
Error: [TE_DES-31] Script (TE::DES::run_sw_project) failed:
Error: [TE_TK-11] (TE) Script (TE::DES::run_project) failed: .

Note the suspicious "cannot create directory" messages with garbage characters. I tried to follow all the recommendations, e.g. no spaces in the paths and no paths over 250 characters. What am I doing wrong here?

I have attached the full logging output to this message.

Thanks
Stephan

stm

Hi Thomas,

thanks for the quick update. I downloaded the new files and tried to run the setup from TEI0050-test_board-quartus_21.1.1-20230213145613.zip. It runs until the end so it looks much better, but there are still errors, for example:

make --no-print-directory -C /mnt/e/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1-new/software/hello_tei0050_bsp/
Compiling alt_alarm_start.c...
nios2-elf-gcc.exe -xc -MP -MMD -c  -I./HAL/inc -I. -I./drivers/inc -pipe -D__hal__ -DALT_NO_C_PLUS_PLUS -DALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION -DALT_USE_SMALL_DRIVERS -DSMALL_C_LIB -DALT_SINGLE_THREADED    -O0 -g -Wall  -mno-hw-div -mno-hw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -mgpopt=global   -o obj/HAL/src/alt_alarm_start.o HAL/src/alt_alarm_start.c
make[1]: nios2-elf-gcc.exe: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [Makefile:564: obj/HAL/src/alt_alarm_start.o] Error 127
make: *** [Makefile:847: /mnt/e/Users/stm/Documents/FPGA/Altera/test_board-quartus_21.1.1-new/software/hello_tei0050_bsp/-recurs-make-lib] Error 2

Do I need to set something up myself so the nios2-elf-gcc.exe compiler is found via PATH?

I have attached the full logging output from the "Messages" window of the "Create Project" GUI again.

Thanks
Stephan

Thomas D

Hi Stephan,
in the log file you sent in your first post, I see that your default WSL distribution is Debian and runs on WSL2.
But Intel says: "Install only WSL 1 and skip the instructions for updating WSL 1 to WSL 2. WSL 2 is not supported." See also:
When I try to create the project with a distro running on WSL2, I get similar error messages.

There are three options now (execute commands in powershell):

• If you already have a distribution installed that runs on WSL1, set it to your default distribution with wsl --set-default <distribution name>.
  • Set your currently used Distribution to WSL1 with "wsl --set-version <distribution name> <versionNumber>" -> in your case: wsl --set-version Debian 1
  • Install a new distribution on WSL1 with "wsl --install <Distribution Name>" and set it to your default distribution

br
Thomas

stm

Hi Thomas,

my fault then, I hadn't seen this requirement.

Thanks, I will give WSL1 a try.

Stephan

stm

Quote from: stm on February 15, 2023, 06:40:29 PM
Thanks, I will give WSL1 a try.

With the documented WSL1 Ubuntu 18.04 environment the project was now created without errors.