News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Silver bullet recipe for migration from sdcard boot to emmc boot (TE0720)

Started by masc, November 18, 2022, 02:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Hi all experts!
My goal is to move my current design from sd card booting to emmc booting and I'm looking for a silver bullet recipe for migration.
Hardware: TE0720 on top of TE0703

These storage devices are available:

sdcard  (SD0)  32GB
emmc    (SD1) 7.3GiB
qspi           32MiB

If I'm not wrong these fileses are generated:

FPGA bitstream: system.bit        2.5 MB
FSBL:           te_zynq_fsbl.elf  0.7 MB
U-BOOT:         u-boot.bin        0.5 MB
Linux kernel:   zImage            3.8 MB
rootfs:         rootfs.bin        77  MB

I have several questions and the answers could lead to a complete migration from sd card boot to emmc boot:

a) Best practice: where to put which files?
My best guess:
bitstream + fsbl + uboot -> qspi
kernel + rootfs -> emmc

b) Recipe: what, how and where configure what, to accomplish this boot scheme and generate files accordingly?
c) Recipe for bootstraping on first commisioning in the factory.
By best guess: Boot a generic system from sdcard, partition emmc, copy files to emmc and copy files to qspi (how?). Any better way?

Bonus question for cherry on the cake:
d) Is it somehow possible to create a "unbrickable" A/B-scheme (like seen on android devices) to reduce risk of in-the-field updates?

If there are any know examples out there I haven't found, please point me to them.

Thank you in advance! Bye, Marc.

JH

Hi,
how to change this depends unfortunately on  AMD(Xilinx) petalinux version
The question is also what should be moved. only file system or kernel and device tree also?
.. I would recommend to check AMD forum and/or write a post there (write also which petalinux version you use.)
We have some older example (19.2) with file system on SD:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+HDMI701
When you formate your emmc correctly than you must simple change uboot platform-top header to the other mmc. But with newer petalinux version this procedure has changed. see boot.scr and links to AMD(Xilinx) documentation which you  has linked
br
John