News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

Vivado 2020.2 board files directory

Started by bigguiness, January 16, 2023, 06:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigguiness

Where are the Vivado board files supposed to be located?

I was previously able to select the TE0720 board when I created a new project but now the Trenz boards are not listed.

In my install directory "/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2" there is a "data/boards/board_files" directory with a number of directories with "xilinx", "alpha-data.com", and one "em.avnet.com" board files.

I found some more board files in my home directory under "~/.Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/xhub/board_store/XilinxBoardStore/Vivado/2020.2/boards". In that directory are subdirectories for "Avnet", "Diligent", "Trenz_Electronic", "TUL", and "Xilinx" with various subdirectories in each with more board files.

What should I do to make the board files under "~/.Xilinx/" visible in Vivado?

Any ideas why it was working before and does not now?

I did notice in the project I was working on previously there are 2 critical warnings in the Implementation that say:

"[Board 49-67] The board_part definition was not found for trenz.biz:te0720_1c:part0:1.0. This can happen sometimes when you use custom board part. You can resolve this issue by setting 'board.repoPaths' parameter, pointing to the location of custom board files. Valid board_part values can be retrieved with the 'get_board_parts' Tcl command."

The implementation does work but I'm not sure if those warnings just started appearing or have been there since I started the project.

Thanks for any help or insight.

JH

Hi,

QuoteWhere are the Vivado board files supposed to be located?

I was previously able to select the TE0720 board when I created a new project but now the Trenz boards are not listed.

In my install directory "/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2" there is a "data/boards/board_files" directory with a number of directories with "xilinx", "alpha-data.com", and one "em.avnet.com" board files.

I found some more board files in my home directory under "~/.Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/xhub/board_store/XilinxBoardStore/Vivado/2020.2/boards". In that directory are subdirectories for "Avnet", "Diligent", "Trenz_Electronic", "TUL", and "Xilinx" with various subdirectories in each with more board files.

What should I do to make the board files under "~/.Xilinx/" visible in Vivado?
We provide the board files through various sources(But these are updated differently). Where you found them and how you can install them are described here:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/Installation

QuoteI did notice in the project I was working on previously there are 2 critical warnings in the Implementation that say:

"[Board 49-67] The board_part definition was not found for trenz.biz:te0720_1c:part0:1.0. This can happen sometimes when you use custom board part. You can resolve this issue by setting 'board.repoPaths' parameter, pointing to the location of custom board files. Valid board_part values can be retrieved with the 'get_board_parts' Tcl command."

You can ignore this as long as  "get_board_parts" shows the board files you need. see get_board_parts --help how to use this TCL command.
Vivado uses several internal tools that check the board files every time, but it seems that some of them do not check all the specified paths for board files, so the warning comes up. see for example:
https://support.xilinx.com/s/question/0D52E00006hpLo5SAE/board-4967-the-boardpart-definition-was-not-found?language=en_US
br
John

bigguiness

John,

Thanks for the reply. But I still don't know where the board files are "supposed" to be saved.

I'm not sure that the "~/.Xilinx/..." location is correct because when I try to browse to that location in Vivado to set the Download location for the XHub Store, the dialog does not show that directory (all directories/files in linux that start with a '.' are hidden).

I have previously installed the XHub board files as described in Option 2 of the document you linked. I just don't know why I find them under the "~/.Xilinx/..." directory.

Just all me a bit confused....

bigguiness

I just checked the XHub Stores and it shows I have the TE0720 module installed.

But when I try to create a new project, the TE0720 board is not shown as an available option.

It looks like only the boards in my install directory (/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/data/boards/board_files/...) are available. The ones I have installed from the XHub store are not (~/.Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/xhub/board_store/xilinx_board_store).

This worked just a couple weeks ago.

Waldi3141

the board files can reside in different places, dont think that they are "supposed to be at one specific place".

If you wanne go with Option 4, described in the link that John posted, then just copy the board_files folder from our test_board project to your Vivado installation directory ( /tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/data/boards/board_files/...). Create a new Vivado 2020.2 project and you will see your TE0720 Board.

bigguiness

I think I figured it out.

In the Vivado/Settings/XHub Store/Board Repository, there is a note at the bottom of the list of repository paths that says:

"Note: Download location for boards from XHUB is "~/.Xilinx/Vivado/2020.2/xhub/board_store/xilinx_board_store".

(I replaced my actual home directory with ~).

But the list of paths was empty. I added the download location to the path list and then the TE0720 board (and the others I have downloaded) then showed up. Note, I had to manually type in the path because the hidden ".Xilinx" directory does not show up in the dialog.

That seems to be working now. Now I have other issues..... Another post coming...

Thanks