Trenz Electronic Products > Trenz Electronic FPGA Modules

problem with booting from the SD card

(1/2) > >>

boki:
Hi folks,

I have a problem with booting from the SD card (TEBF0808-04A + TE0807-03-7DE21-AK).
When I couldn't get it to work with my own design (baremetal app which runs fine via JTAG) I downloaded the starter kit and extracted the prebuilt files for 2020.2.
I took BOOT.bin from boot_hello_te0807 folder and copied it to the root of several FAT32 formatted SD cards (tried with 3 different types).
DIP switch S5-1 and -2 are set to "ON" position. After powering the board and pressing S1 button I get the following message on the UART terminal:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader (TE modified)

ΓΏ

So it starts but it hangs without putting out the Hello world (similar to what happens in my own design).
I also notice that red LED on SoM module doesn't switch on, indicating FPGA is not programmed.
Can you please tell me what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

JH:
Hi,

which external power supply did you use? Some current limit?
Did you use correct Boot.bin for your assembly variant (TE0807-03-7DE21-A)? Download includes files for different assembly variants, so it's important to use the correct one. There is a small sticker with QC code on the heat spreader of the module. I can check one time your assembly version, to see  if TE0807-03-7DE21-A is correct.

br
John

boki:
Hi,
I'm using a 12V/5A brick, so supply shouldn't be a problem.
I run the _create_win_setup.cmd, chose the assembly and got _binaries_TE0807-03-7DE21-AK folder from where I took BOOT.bin.
I attached a picture of the sticker, is that the one you want?
Thanks

JH:
Hi,
yes your 654242 is TE0807-03-7DE21-A from Feb. 2021(shipping date). Do you have some history about the module?

TEBF0808 has some LEDs, can you tell me the state of the LEDs, when programming failed, see:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Getting+Started#TEBF0808GettingStarted-Overview
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TEBF0808+Getting+Started#TEBF0808GettingStarted-LEDs

Can you remove the module one time and plug on again, maybe there are some bad contacts.
br
John

boki:
Hi,
TEBF0808 board together with the module was previously used by a colleague, always in JTAG mode.
Btw I have another TEBF0808 with another module (720475 on the sticker) - same behavior.
Removing the module and putting it back doesn't help.

After powering the board and pressing S1 button the LEDs are as following:
D7 red 1 times fast blink with a break = SD Boot
D6 green OFF = Main Power State Machine Ready
XMOD1 D4 red OFF = all fine
XMOD2 D4 red fast blinking = PS Init low
SFP D1 red fast blinking = PS Init low
SFP D8 green fast blinking = PS Init low
D17 green ON = no USB connected
SFP D9 red fast blinking = PS Init low
SFP D10 green fast blinking = PS Init low
ETH leds also fast blinking = PS Init low
D4 green 1 times fast blink with a break = all fine