News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TEI0022 Kernel Create Error

Started by fweinrebe, October 11, 2021, 05:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fweinrebe

Hi,

I am trying to build the Kernel as per the Wiki page: https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=94489182

However I am getting the following error when trying to compile the Kernel via the make command.

The command  was executed earlier:
sudo export CROSS_COMPILE=$PWD/gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf-arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-

The branch chosen was done via (The documentation did not say exactly what version to choose):
git checkout rel_socfpga-4.14.126-ltsi-rt_19.12.01_pr

Command executed:
sudo make ARCH=arm CROSS-COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf LOCAVERSION=zImage

Error:

CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option '-mabi=aapcs-linux'
gcc: note: valid arguments to '-mabi=' are: ms sysv
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-mlittle-endian'
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-mapcs'
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-mno-sched-prolog'
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-mfpu=vfp'
make[1]: *** [Kbuild:22: kernel/bounds.s] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:1083: prepare0] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated please?

Thomas D

Hi,
the wiki page you mentioned is incorecct, sorry. I have corrected this wiki page.

Quote from: fweinrebe on October 11, 2021, 05:36:15 PM
The command  was executed earlier:
sudo export CROSS_COMPILE=$PWD/gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf-arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
This command is not correct. This may be the cause for your error messages. Use this command instead:
sudo export CROSS_COMPILE=$PWD/gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
It's important to run this command in the directory where you unpacked the tar-archiv gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz

The branch chosen was done via (The documentation did not say exactly what version to choose):
git checkout rel_socfpga-4.14.126-ltsi-rt_19.12.01_pr
I tried this version and was able to generate zImage succesfully:
git checkout rel_socfpga-4.14.130-ltsi_21.10.01_pr

Command executed:
sudo make ARCH=arm CROSS-COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf LOCAVERSION=zImage
Don't use this command, it's not correct. I have removed it from the wiki page. This command should work:
make ARCH=arm LOCALVERSION= zImage

We currently work on an update where we use yocto project. In the meantime i would recommend to using the manual from Arrow Electronics for the TEI0022 board:
I think with this guide you will have more success at the moment.

br
Thomas

fweinrebe

Hi Thomas,

I did the Arrow electronics Github GSRD steps already 3x and the board does not boot.  All the FPGA and Linux related projects do compile but my board does not boot.

I am currently downloading the SD Image under the ADRV9002 page that I have previously not seen. The hope is to see if the board does boot up with that image. That is the reason I am trying all the steps in the Trenz wiki.

As a newbie to the TEI0022 I would highly recommend a downloadable (or SD card in the Box) image file that only does something stupid as flashing the LEDs. That way one will know if the TEI0022 board is ok. Instead of spending more than a week now just to get an example running.

Looking forward to your Yocto project.

Regards
Fritz

Thomas D

Hi Fritz,
were you able to boot successfully with the adrv9002 image?

br
Thomas

fweinrebe

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the follow-up.

No. Looks like the board is not working. We are in the process to get a replacement.

Kind Regards
Fritz

Thomas D

Hi,
FYI: I tried this image once with a TEI0022-03 and was able to boot successfully. So the image definitly works.

Just to be sure: Were the dip switches correctly set to bootmode: SD/MMC (S7-1: OFF and S7-2: ON -> after change, switch the power off and on on the board) and did you use the correct usb connector (J5) for the console output?

br
Thomas

fweinrebe

Yes SD/MMC (S7-1: OFF and S7-2: ON) confirmed. They were like that before I booted (and before the board was switched on for the first time).

On J5 I have a terminal and I can interact with Linux. But there is nothing on the HDMI screen output.

On the FLIR the temperature of the IC U46 is +-83.9 degrees Celsius and the Cyclone V (U10) is +-62 degrees C. (See attachment)

Edit: Forgot to say, the ADRV9002 board is not plugged in. I do not have it at this stage.

Thomas D

Quote from: fweinrebe on October 15, 2021, 07:51:52 AM
On J5 I have a terminal and I can interact with Linux. But there is nothing on the HDMI screen output.
So Linux boots, that's good. If you connect your monitor after Linux has booted, you must restart the display manager with the following command:
service lightdm restart
Only if you connect the monitor before booting linux, the desktop environment is automatically loaded and displayed after the boot process.

On the FLIR the temperature of the IC U46 is +-83.9 degrees Celsius and the Cyclone V (U10) is +-62 degrees C. (See attachment)
The two chips on my board also get very hot, but I don't have a FLIR on my place to measure that, sorry. U46 seems to work, otherwise Linux wouldn't start at all.

Edit: Forgot to say, the ADRV9002 board is not plugged in. I do not have it at this stage.
This should not be relevant. Linux should still boot and you should have HDMI output. I also didn't have the ADRV9002 board plugged in, when I tested the image.

br
Thomas

fweinrebe

It is working now !  :)  It is showing the Linux GUI now.

It turned out because I was using an HDMI / VGA adapter, the TEI0022 board does not work with such an adapter. It wants an HDMI screen. 

The command:
service lightdm restart was really helpful because I had to run it after I swopped screens.

Thomas, many thanks for your help. It is appreciated !!