News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

HLS IP doesn't write correctly to PS RAM

Started by johnabel, April 22, 2021, 09:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnabel

I wrote an IP with HLS that writes the PS RAM using a master AXI port and I found it only writes the first 4 bytes of each 16-byte group.
After a couple of weeks, I tried on a different board, an MYD-CZU3EG (instead of TE0803) and, boom, works like a charm.
Looking at the differences between these boards, the DDR RAM chips are different as well as the timing settings in the PS configuration.
I wonder if these settings could be wrong (maybe a batch of boards with a different DDR chips?) or not appropriate for PL-PS access?
Or could there be another reason causing that?

Oleksandr Kiyenko

Hello.

You can check DDR settings by standard memory test, but I think that the problem is not in the
memory configuration. With a wrong memory configuration, the board will not start or freeze after a few seconds.
You need to check the difference in the PL-PS interface. Try to add ILA to this interface and compare the AXI transactions.

Best regards
Oleksandr Kiyenko

johnabel

Yes, I would expect that: wrong settings = nothing works. But wasn't sure if there could be a border condition affecting certain types of access.
Anyways I sorted it out by setting the width of the AXI port the PL uses to access the PS memory. 128 bit width makes it work. 32 doesn't. I didn't test 64.
I don't know the reason, especially if a similar board works with width 32 and another doesn't.