News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0720 modules dying?

Started by cfm11, April 21, 2021, 01:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfm11

Hello,

I am using a TE0720 on a custom (but fully TE0703 compatible) carrier board.
When recently playing around with encryption (BBRAM, zero-key), I ended up with a broken QSPI flash boot partition and I needed to erase the flash. I did this by setting the boot mode to sd-card, then after powering up the device I erased the flash over XSDK - which was working fine. But after repowering the device, I see a high current consumption (1.8A@3.3V) and all LEDs are constantly on.

I now have 3 boards showing this behaviour. All voltages (3.3, 1.8, 1.5, 1.0) still look good. Can you confirm, that this an indication of a damaged device? What could be the problem here?

Best regards
Chris

JH

Hi,
you say all LEDs on the TE0720 are ON:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+CPLD#TE0720CPLD-On-boardLEDs
--> in this case it looks like Bank34 Voltage is missing.

Can you share the schematics of your custom carrier? If yes, please send them to support@trenz-electronic.de

br
John

cfm11

Hi John,

thanks for the quick reply. I can not send the whole schematic at the moment (maybe in a video call?), but I can say that one of the modules showed this behaviour while using it with TE0703. This setup now auto shuts-off when powering-on.

The setting on my custom board is: PROGMODE=0, RESIN=1, EN1=1, NOSEQ=1,MODE=1 (, MIOs 40-45: open)

I've just measured VCCIO34 over C217 - it is ok here.

Everything worked absolutely fine before.

br
Chris

JH

Hi,
QuoteI can not send the whole schematic at the moment (maybe in a video call?),
not at this moment and it makes no sense as long as I didn't now you schematics. sending Schematics under NDA is also possible (depending on you NDA content).

Quotebut I can say that one of the modules showed this behaviour while using it with TE0703. This setup now auto shuts-off when powering-on.
What did you see on with our carrier?
All three LEDs on the TE0720 are ON? Or only increased current consumption?

Did you try to change CPLD firmware of the module or our carrier?

At the moment it's strange behaviour to have all LEDs on. Does our prebuilt files from our reference designs boot from SD on this module together with  our TE0703

br
John

cfm11

Hi John,

first of all: thanks for pointing me to the right direction - I managed to partially recover all modules.

The error on the particular custom board I used was a solder residue shorting resin.

The module on the TE0703 had high current consumption and some humming inductor. LEDs 1+2 were on here, but not LED3.
The flash could be cleared by removing jumper J8-2 of TE0703. After that the supply was stable again and clearing the flash worked.
Some IOs of that bank seem to be damaged anyway because the current consumption is still much higher than on other modules.

best regards
Chis

JH

Hi,
ok, so first problem is solved.

QuoteSome IOs of that bank seem to be damaged anyway because the current consumption is still much higher than on other modules.
this can cause higher current consumption. In case the FPGA is damaged it can't be repaired (Total financial loss) .
the question is what caused this issue. RESIN should be not the problem (I don't know what you short directly but it's rather unlikely).
Without schematics of your board, I can't help much more.
But you can check following:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/FAQ#FAQ-PCBDesign
--> please check especially "Power sequencing for variable IO banks and connected periphery", maybe you has some problem with  power sequencing which caused this issue with damaged io banks/pins
and check also:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/4+x+5+SoM+Integration+Guide

br
John