News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

TE0720 + TE0703 setup for hello world via UART

Started by Norman, March 10, 2021, 02:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

Hello I'm new here and I recently got the carrier board TE0703-06 and SOM TE0720-03-62I12GA.

I wanted to try the Hello World template from the Vivado SDK but I can't seem to get it to work. I'll detail what I've done so far in the following text.

The SOM is mounted on the carrier. All DIP switches and jumpers in factory settings. I'm also using a makeshift power adapter fashioned from an old android phone charger (5V, 2A) and data cable with the power lines cut and inserted to pins J2A-A1 (5V) and J2A-A3 (GND). From this I have been able to power up the board with correct LED behavior. Then I connect the board via a mini USB cable to my laptop.

I downloaded the board_files from here (https://github.com/Xilinx/XilinxBoardStore/tree/master/boards/Trenz_Electronic) and used the TE0720_1C version and placed on the correct location. I have been able to create a project in Vivado and gone through the following steps:
1. Create block design
2. Add the PS and run automate block
3. Checked IP:
    --- UART1 on MIO48/49 with 1.8V on bank 1
    --- other peripherals that's included in the board preset
    --- QSPI
4. Create HDL wrapper -> Generate output products
5. Synthesize -> Implement -> Generate bitstream -> Export hardware
6. Launch SDK and create new application
7. Select the Hello World template
8. Setup serial terminal, select correct port
9. Program FPGA -> Run (launch hardware as system debugger)

After that, the green LED turns off, indicating programming FPGA was done. But nothing comes out of my serial terminal/monitor.

Also noting, I tried to add a custom made IP that uses AXI interface between steps 1 and 2. And after programming and running the SDK I am able to access the memory via the XSCT console of SDK with "mrd and mwr" commands.

I don't have the SD card, is it necessary? Or the board can function without it?

I am new to this kind of work flow (block automation + SDK) and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something so if anyone would be so kind to assist me with the process. Thank you!

JH

Hi,
we have reference designs online:
https://wiki.trenz-electronic.de/display/PD/TE0720+Test+Board
--> 2020.2 there must be done a rework for 2020.2 at the moment.
So please use 19.2 version of the design:
https://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/Download/?path=Trenz_Electronic/Modules_and_Module_Carriers/4x5/TE0720/Reference_Design/2019.2/test_board

Design contains prebuilt binaries and source code. --> Hello TE0720 and Linux design are available

For TE0720-03-62I12GA use --> TE0720-03-2IF design generation (files are in the short dir 2if_1gb)    .

Board files are included in the reference design download. corresponding github board file is https://github.com/Xilinx/XilinxBoardStore/tree/master/boards/Trenz_Electronic/TE0720_2I/1.0

br
John

Norman

Hello John,

Thank you for your assistance. I was able to finally get the Hello World output. It appears I had used the wrong board_files, and your suggestion fixed it. Honestly I didn't know which one to use since the available on Xilinx's github doesn't have the specific board that I have and I didn't know about the existence your reference designs until you pointed it out.

I used the board_files from the 2018.3 version because that's what I have currently installed in my system. With that comes the correct MIO configuration from the board presets for the UART ports. Aside from those, everything I had done was correct.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Norman

JH

Hi,
good to hear that it works.
Xilinx git hub is new.  2020.2 contains the same board file configuration like we use in 19.2 since ~feb of this year.   Maybe it was not updated correctly on your installation.

The newest board files will be always available on our newest reference designs. Xilinx git hub will be updated with a little bit delay.
br
John