News:

Attention: For security reasons,please choose a user name *different* from your login name.
Also make sure to choose a secure password and change it regularly.

Main Menu

USB Software Update Tool

Started by Reuven, May 25, 2010, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuven

Hello

I am configuring a TE0320 FPGA Module. The USB drivers set up well but there is a problem when trying to download a TE0320-00.fwu file using the USB Software Update Tool. A message - "The Instrument Is Not Connected" - is received.
The connection is by USB only, and it was ok. Both, "Cypress Generic USB Device" and "DEWESoft USB Device" were confirmed. Also the large EEPROM programming worked well. The DIP switch A:D was set according to the user manual specifications.
The computer is based in WinXP. What is wrong?
Thank you.

Thorsten Trenz

Hello Reuven,

I am configuring a TE0320 FPGA Module. The USB drivers set up well but there is a problem when trying to download a TE0320-00.fwu file using the USB Software Update Tool. A message - "The Instrument Is Not Connected" - is received.

This message is a sign, of a not properly installed driver.

The connection is by USB only, and it was ok. Both, "Cypress Generic USB Device" and "DEWESoft USB Device" were confirmed. Also the large EEPROM programming worked well. The DIP switch A:D was set according to the user manual specifications.
The computer is based in WinXP. What is wrong?
Thank you.

I wonder, why you had the Cypress driver installed? This is normally not necessary. Only if you deleted the EEPROM, then you need the Cypress driver to reprogram the EEPROM.

If you did not alter the EEPROM contents, then please remove both drivers, and install the DEWESoft USB Driver by hand.
If you did alter the EEPROM contents, you need to reprogram it with the Cypress Tools. This is covered in the manual.

best regards
Thorsten Trenz

Ales Gorkic

Dear Reuven,

Sometimes it happens also to me if I try multiple upgrades without replugging the device. I simply reconnect the module and try again.
Also check if you see in Device Manager "DEWESoft USB Device" under USB Controllers (shortcut = WinButton+Pause). If you see no device with this name then something is wrong.

Best regards,

Ales

Horsa

Quote from: Thorsten Trenz on May 26, 2010, 08:19:01 AM
I wonder, why you had the Cypress driver installed? This is normally not necessary. Only if you deleted the EEPROM, then you need the Cypress driver to reprogram the EEPROM.
If you did not alter the EEPROM contents, then please remove both drivers, and install the DEWESoft USB Driver by hand.
If you did alter the EEPROM contents, you need to reprogram it with the Cypress Tools. This is covered in the manual.

In the next development-suite release we will split the locations of the two drivers and make nearly impossible that users will install the Cypress one.

Reuven

The Software Upgrade Tool now work properly. The mistake was that inadvertely I selected to install the driver manually. This resulted in partial installation only, which showed as "DEWESoft USB Device" without the "0" at the end. It's probable I missed it in the windows in German, but everything finally worked very well. I also think that in the user manual, it's not very clear that a DEWESoft Device is necessary, but not the Cypress one. The reason of the confusion is because a Cypress USB physical device is clear on the board while the software (DEWESoft) is not. Therefore, it was seem natural to install the Cypress drive also.
In any case thank you all for the valuable help.

Thorsten Trenz

Dear Reuven,
thank you for your feedback.
We will change the documentation in the near future, so that it becomes more clear, what is already factory programmed, and what is needed for the end user.

best regards
Thorsten Trenz

Hengist

The release of the third generation Trenz Electronic USB FX2 Suite made this post obsolete. Please access current documentation and resources here: TE USB FX2 Suite.